Remote access

Maybe y'all can help me with this one. All of my movies are on my hard drives. I recently moved across town, and I'd like to allow my family to continue to have access to my movies from their house. I've heard that there's a way to allow my family to watch movies stored on my computer from their home, even though my computer is across town in my home. Can anyone tell me what this is called and how I'd go about seeing it up? I have a couple terabytes of movies, and I'm really my family's entertainment hub. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FTP, if you just want to allow them access to you computer's files for those movies. There are services, some free, where you can broadcast a movie and people can view them with you, but you'd have to set that up and they may have limited control.

No, I want to let them open my movies file, pick a movie, and watch it, just as they could when I lived in the house. When I was in the house, I could be upstairs on my computer watching a movie, and they could open my file from the laptop downstairs, pick a movie, and watch it downstairs, because we had a home network set up. I'd like to essentially set up a home network again, except that one of the computers on the network isn't actually in the house. Know what I mean?

You should take a look at Plex or Kodi/XMBC. I have tried Plex myself and it was really easy to set up. I believe you can grant other people access to your server as well, but I'm not very familiar with it myself.

Just keep in mind that your CPU might get a little hot since the transcoding is very CPU intensive (and watch your upload quota, if you have any).

What kind of upload speeds do you get from your internet provider OP?? Would you even be able to deliver them smooth video playback? (as the video files will likely not be compressed or optimized for streaming I imagine)

Sorry Storm, that might not help.. As Waco said, if you are using the internet as well at the same time, playback is either going to be buffering a lot or the quality is going to be low.. 

Edited by Gremlin