Trouble With Internet Connection When 2 Computers Online

wingspar

Hey Wing, along the lines of what RealNeil has suggested, I'd recommend keeping your router settings at default.

However, go into the network adapter properties on each of the machines and assign static IP address and then set new DNS servers.  Reboot both machines.  Now go back to your router configuration page and set DHCP reservations for both of the machines that you assigned static IP addresses for.  Use them for a while and see if the problem still subsists.

If the problem is corrected then it's likely not a router or modem issue.  If the problem subsists then it is likely a router or modem problem.

Another thing to check is virus and malware scans on both machines to make sure that nothing is hijacking your connection or redirecting it.

If you have to use either of the machines "off" your primary network, remember that you'll need to set DHCP settings back to automatic.

Go to:

http://www.opendns.com/opendns-ip-addresses/

and use their info to change your DNS server to theirs. You'll be changing the router's settings. This may speed things up a lot. It did for me.

Hey Wing, along the lines of what RealNeil has suggested, I'd recommend keeping your router settings at default.

However, go into the network adapter properties on each of the machines and assign static IP address and then set new DNS servers.  Reboot both machines.  Now go back to your router configuration page and set DHCP reservations for both of the machines that you assigned static IP addresses for.  Use them for a while and see if the problem still subsists.

Well, that didn

I use D-Link routers too, and I've never had a single one of them assign DNS server information unless I configure the router to run as the DNS server.  Otherwise, my DNS server information is blank, router DNS service is disabled and I configure the individual PC clients with the DNS server information.  

Going back and looking at your cable modem event log, I'm concerned about the "No Ranging Response Received - T3 Timeout" error message.

That could indicate a problem with your signal strength upstream or possibly downstream.  If you haven't had your ISP come out and run tests and diagnosis on your signal quality and strength I'd put that on my "to do list".

If you're on cable internet and have any splitters, remove them temporarily and see if the problem subsides.  In the end, if the ISP tells you that line quality is good, and you don't have (or have removed any splitters, amplifiers etc.) that might be impacting signal strength, line quality and SNR, then you should suspect a problem with your modem first, router second.

Just a note; usually upload speeds are significantly slower than download speeds (unless you have a 20-20 connection with your ISP), so even if you get 20MBPS download (which for reference equates to about 2.5MB/s) your upload speed is unlikely to be higher than 2-3MBPS in my experience (250-330KB/s), so uploads to YouTube, by definition, will take a while.