Hotmail to be replaced with Outlook.com

EuroFight

'bout time.

With the launch of outlook.com, Microsoft marked it's intention & future plan. in No way they could have managed (or bothered) to run two different mail servers at the same time.

I'm confused by this, what were the two before Outlook.com was launched? I only knew of Hotmail.

Also, Outlook.com's name is too close to their email client, Outlook. It was bad enough trying to explain the difference between Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail back when I had to support the average joe. :(

I honestly prefered Hotmail. Outlook is usable and looks nice, no doubt, but Hotmail just seemed easier. Outlook reminds me a lot of Gmail. I don't think I'm too concerned, though, as Gmail is my main email and I only really use a Microsoft account for things that require it specifically.

'bout time.

With the launch of outlook.com, Microsoft marked it's intention & future plan. in No way they could have managed (or bothered) to run two different mail servers at the same time.

I'm confused by this, what were the two before Outlook.com was launched? I only knew of Hotmail.

Also, Outlook.com's name is too close to their email client, Outlook. It was bad enough trying to explain the difference between Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail back when I had to support the average joe. :(

Hotmail was there from the very beginning, and M$ have launched outlook 3-4 months ago.

you mean people actually used hotmail? lol

I actually tell my listeners that for a home user there is zero reason to use anything but a free web based mail like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail/Live/Outlook, Mail.com and a few others.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with hotmail/outlook

Can't stand gmail, while others swear by it. Its all about personal preference in the end.

[edit]

Also, gotta love the 25 gigs of storage I get with Skydrive :D

I just changed my Microsoft Account name and it was WAY easier than I expected. Gmail is still my primary email service, but now I don't have a juvenile-sounding, older-than-the-hills kinda name for my Microsoft Services. I think "dudeman_mike" was really... uh, grade 6. I just hope that it doesn't screw with things like Skype.

Edited by Miek