External DVR or internal DVR Card?

I would grab a $50 internal card or if you want to be more serious grab something like the hauppenguage dual dvt-b tuners and set windows media center to automatically record the seasons you want.

IIRC it will even boot a computer from sleep to automatically record.

Are external cards really that bad? I haven't got one, but was considering getting one. (It being USB makes it much easier to pass through to a VM than a PC device)

I have an internal Haupage card, and its good. Bit slow to tune in initially (like 30 seconds before anything happens) but thereafter its all good.

If you are looking for something to edit out commercials automatically, a combination of Media Portal and CompSkip works very very well. As compskip only tags where the commercials start and end, and Media Portal then automatically skips when it hits a mark. The great thing about this is, if it gets it wrong the video is still there. So you can always just re-wind.

My main issue with external is the heat I have had several and all of them get rather hot during use.

It is understandable because it's all bunched up inside a tiny little case with no airflow.

My other issue is that the remotes that come with them need to be able to point at the actual is which is not possible ifit is plugged behind and is difficult if plugged on the front of the case.

My internal ones came with a better remote which was fully featured (unlike the several USB ones) and the remote had an IR receiver that could be mounted under a tv.