Nyt Ryda's Rig

Nyt

Cars don't use water because it freezes. They use antifreeze to keep it from freezing.

Antifreeze actually makes the water dissipate less heat. There is no coolant that's better at heat dissipation than distilled water.

True , cars do use anti-freeze to prevent freezing but the coolant also raises the boiling point and that is crucial especially If Im going to be pushing 1.55V+ on extreme runs and running in 30C ambiant air :)

If you think cars only use coolant not to freeze in winter , then I dare you to run distilled water in summer :P

Nyt if you are going to some form of automotive coolant, then you will definitely be finding out the hard way why it is a terrible idea. GL cleaning that crap out of yout rad, res, and block :P

Not using car coolant, using PC coolant :P

He spent too much on the rig, he can't afford a camera :P

Ha ha :P

This is the way I see it :

Water with dye :

Pros : Cheap

Cons :

No peace of mind

Lower boiling point

Higher freezing point

No biocide available

Clogs up loop

Coolant :

Pros:

Peace of mind

Higher boiling point

Lower freezing point

Has biocide in the solution

Cons:

Clogs up loop (Both do this anyway so it basically cancels out)

More costly (I have dual 580's , do you think $30 mattesr to me for more performance/peace of mind? :P)

Oh and I already bought the coolant when I got my first loop so its not actually costing me anything

I dont see why using coolant is bad ?

True , cars do use anti-freeze to prevent freezing but the coolant also raises the boiling point and that is crucial especially If I'm going to be pushing 1.55V+ on extreme runs and running in 30C ambiant air :)

You still shouldn't be getting to the boiling point of water be reasonable :lol: haha

More costly (I have dual 580's , do you think $30 matters to me for more performance/peace of mind? :P

That money could go towards a camera :P come on get some pics up

Oh and I already bought the coolant when I got my first loop so its not actually costing me anything.

I don't see why using coolant is bad ?

It doesn't really matter cost is the biggest factor and the clogging which will occur, which will happen anyway if you are set on using dye. Just use it and get some damn pics up :teehee:

True , cars do use anti-freeze to prevent freezing but the coolant also raises the boiling point and that is crucial especially If Im going to be pushing 1.55V+ on extreme runs and running in 30C ambiant air :)

If you think cars only use coolant not to freeze in winter , then I dare you to run distilled water in summer :P

Its true that antifreeze raises the boiling point of water but on a automotive engine you want it to run hot to some degree without overheating.

i used to have a 67 Camaro with a built small block when i lived in the california desert ( had a 160 degree thermostat so it NEVER reached over 200 degrees), i can personally attest to the fact that the engine ran cooler with plain tap water in it than with antifreeze

if your wc loop gets above boiling point of distilled water (100 deg C)

then your doing it wrong :teehee:

Nyt, in regards to Coolant and Water. I was going to mention this but decided not to get into a long drawn out discussion on it. Waco stepped up and hit it on the nailhead. Antifreeze/Coolant serves a few purposes. Mainly not to freeze in Subfreezing temps and to raise the boiling point over 212 degrees. There are a couple more purposes that are not discussed as much, They contain rust inhibitors for the obvious reasons, and also act as a lubricant for the water pump bearings, at least in the older mechanical type waterpump applications. The Newer Electrics arent effected I dont believe.

Anyway, water is still the most practical and efficient heat dissipator you can get. Some antibacterials and some dye and you are set.

Honestly?

If you're anywhere near boiling ANYWHERE in your cooling loop, you have immense issues. Especially since once you boil the water at your heat source you go to a dry wall condition.

Dare people all you want. People can and will run pure distilled water in their cars. It all depends on the specific car's cooling system operation. You can always change that operation with other components (basically changing the flow rate at certain temperatures - i.e. regulating the engine temperatures higher or lower).

You're playing with fire. Some people here actually know what they're talking about. :whistling:

Last summer in Germany our rental car didn't have enough fluid in it anymore(awesome). We just put tap water in and it worked fine, not sure what you are trying to say?

Honestly, don't waste your time on fluids, just use distilled water and colored tubing.

You're playing with fire. Some people here actually know what they're talking about. :whistling:

So what actual temp data shows that water is better than coolant in a PC ? If someone can show me a reliable source that shows water beating coolant by at least 4 degrees C then I dont see why not try coolant since I ALREADY HAVE it (so costs do not count this time) . Unlike may of you in America , its not common to have underfloor heating in SA houses so it gets bloody cold here in Winter here and the our outside dog's water bowl even froze the one day . The coolant I thought of using has anti-corrosion agents and a -9C freezing point (I dont think its ever been -9C in our house)

Edit :

Also , I cant find biocide for pc's available and I wont use aquarium biocide since I dont know if it will corrode and kill coils will be sucked into my pump since I have a pump res combo.

Will algae really affect much ? I've been running w/o biocide and Its been running fine