Why I will never buy another ULTRA psu again

I just want you guys to know what just happened to me. I hate to see someone get cheated or treated like this. So I just tried to do a RMA with them and they told me they couldn't because it is a compatibility issue with my graphics card. Never mind I have 1 cheap card that I can run for most of the day still getting the same issue, and 2 higher end cards that when I run something graphics intensive. My system shuts off and I have to unplug it and hold down the power button for 10 seconds. They told me that my cards were made after the psu and it is compatibility and I can not do a RMA. The advice they gave me was to get a new graphics card. My PSU is the Ultra X4 1600-Watt Modular Power Supply, My grapics card is Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Vapor-X Video Card - 6GB.

Edited by panyx

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know right, its a pain. Also tigerdirect wasn't the problem, it was Ultra itself. Yeah I have never heard of a PSU having a compatibility issue. Yeah they just listed it in the system as a compatibility issue and now when I call they just give me the same speech.

I just want you guys to know what just happened to me. I hate to see someone get cheated or treated like this. So I just tried to do a RMA with them and they told me they couldn't because it is a compatibility issue with my graphics card. Never mind I have 1 cheap card that I can run for most of the day still getting the same issue, and 2 higher end cards that when I run something graphics intensive. My system shuts off and I have to unplug it and hold down the power button for 10 seconds. They told me that my cards were made after the psu and it is compatibility and I can not do a RMA. The advice they gave me was to get a new graphics card. My PSU is the Ultra X4 1600-Watt Modular Power Supply, My grapics card is Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Vapor-X Video Card - 6GB.

That sucks, I know they aren't the greatest but I had a 600W Ultra back in the day that met my needs just fine in the time I had it. What you're experiencing makes ABSOLUTELY no sense, I'd fight until you get your money back. I wouldn't even accept a replacement (unless you sell it immediately but then some other poor soul may suffer the ULTRA WRATH! lol)

So basically never deal with TigerDirect...

Whut?

Their PSU is not compatible with a 7970 wtf????

According to the psu specs it should run 3 of those cards no problem, have you tried another psu and had no problems ?

:withstupid:

The part that really pisses me off is that they wont even take it in to check it out. That is what really has me pissed off, that they keep saying its working as it should  be.

just threaten them with a lawsuit and they'll crack sooner than you think.

you have every right to rma the thing and get your money back because it is the psu's fault, not your graphics card.

if they cannot have a decent knowledge of computers then they shouldn't make psu's at all imo.