Opinions of this build pleas.

Butterman

Howdy folks

Im very green when it comes to gaming rigs so Im coming to you " The Pro's " for advice and help. Ive found a builder through a friend and this is what he's come up with so far. CPU-Intel core i5 3570k ivy bridge LGA 1155. Mother board- MSI 277-G45 1155. GPU- Saphire vaporX HD7970. PSU-XFX Pro series 1000w 80 plus plat. HD1- Samsung 840 pro series 256 GB SSD.  HD2 Seagate Barracuda 1 TB.  RAM- Corsair Vengeance pro 8GB( 2x4G).

I would like to play any game out there preferably on high settings ( The new Everquest Next that's coming out to be exact ) I would like to have the versatility to upgrade as newer hardware comes out. This will be a 100 % game rig maybe a little browsing now and then. My monitor is a Gateway HD 2201 ( not sure if that was needed or not) From what Ive been reading, I could reduce the PSU a little and use the savings for a better MB or maybe even CPU or am I way off ?. This is where your help and advice is needed. Ive set a budget at $1500 with a little wiggle room. Thank you in advance for your input.

Definitely looks like a solid build, the 3570K is solid for gaming and you should have no problems gaming with a 7970 on any current-gen and many next-gen games.

If you were looking to save money you could definitely go for a 750W or 850W PSU, if you really wanted you could go for a decent 650W, however the upgrade and overclocking ability on the 650W would probably be limited.

All in all, very solid build :D

Yeah, that 1000w PSU seems a little excessive for that build. You could probably drop that down to a 700-800w and have enough juice to add a second 7970 for crossfire down the line.

With the savings from that, I'd probably bump the 1TB HDD to a 2TB.

If you're going to try overclocking, you may want to invest in an aftermarket cooler, the cooler master hyper 212 is a popular choice.

I second (or third?) what the other guys have said. Sweet system but tone down the PSU to 750W.

Then maybe get a GTX770, 2-3TB drive or a 3770K. I'd say that's the order of importance I'd give to the changes. Unless you value storage space more than a longer lasting graphics card The 3770K wouldn't really benefit you much so only get it if you don't have anything else to upgrade.

Thanks for the post guys I failed to mention in my build sheet that a cpu cooler was included, a Cooler master seidon 240m.  A Silverstone Temjin MicroATX Minitower. So I take it this system will be fine for a few years? I understand and have always heard that things change every 6 months. Thank you again for the replies

• 3 weeks later...

The power supply is a little to big an 800 would be fine. A few options number one get the ghz version of that card instead it has twice the memory and its also saphire and only a hundred dollars more. As for the motherboard if you wanted to swap that instead I would go with an asus because if your overclocking they have in mho the best software and they have the best quality boards overall. I have a tshirt that says there are two types of motherboards those that are ASUS and those that wish they were. This especially applies to ROG boards but you wont fit one of those in your case and in that socket config it is also 379.00 Plus the upgrade to a case to fit EATX worth it if you have the money but that's up to you or if you wanted to go with a standard ATX case I would say this would do it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131822 Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply Jklein. I did change the power supply with a 850 watt unit. I changed my MB to the z77A-G45 gaming. Being very new I relied alot on my builders recommendations for the budget I had and what I wanted. So far im very pleased and have no issues with DC universe online. Im really waiting for Everquest next.