H80i issue

zyklon

So a few weeks ago, my H80's pump died out and I sent it to Corsair for a replacement. They sent me the newer H80i which I then installed and proceeded to check out temperature and stuff. 

For the record, with my older H80, my i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz was idling at around 20-25 while with Prime95 load reaches temperatures around 55, which was pretty good.

...However with the new H80i, the cpu is idling around 35-40 degrees and reaching high 70s temperatures during stress test. I know this is still "safe" but are relatively too high for such cooler (especially comparing them to my older one).

I have tried re-seating it; made sure it was properly attached to the backplate; applied MX-4 thermal paste instead; made sure the fans are in the correct position etc etc.  The pump is also working well as Corsair Link2 reports it at around 2000+ rpm.

I have run out of ideas about this...so here I am writing this thread.

Thanks!

Did they send an entire replacement kit including fan?  Are you using the new fan or the old fan?  Are you using Corsair Link with the new H80i or just letting everything run at full speed?

And Waco makes a good observation about your previous temperatures seeming low.  What were the ambient temperatures when you made your observations when using the H80?  What are the ambient temperatures when you're making your observations on the H80i?

I think a reasonable assumption is that with your particular cpu, at that clock speed, at that voltage, using the H80i (if it's functioning correctly and installed the right way) is that your loaded CPU temperature will be somewhere between 35 and 42C warmer than the ambient air temperature. 

ambient temp and fan speed can make a big difference with these units.. 

I have a h55 with a pair of COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex in push-pull on a 3770k @4.4ghz hitting about 60c while folding with an ambient around 26c....

It might simply be that the new fans are set for a much lower speed. What profile are you using with it in Corsair Link?

That's one of the reasons I asked about the fan he was using.  I'm fairly certain that the new style fan doesn't create as much static air pressure as the original.  Combine the drop in static air pressure with a low or medium fan speed and that could be contributing to the temp differences.

I have the h100i cooling my 2500k clocked at 4.3GHz, and I get around 29-32C at idle with a room temp of around 22C. During load it gets up to around 65C degrees, maybe 68C. I have the two fans that followed with it and a quiet edition SP120 fan hooked up to it, all runing around 1200rpm during load. So I'd say your original temps seem quite low, unless your room is below 20C ambient. But the new idle temps seem quite high.

I don't know about the h80i, but my h100i needed some washers inbetween the waterblock and the mounting bracket due to a small gap, and it's a problem with all h10i afaik. That might be the issue?

Did they send an entire replacement kit including fan?  Are you using the new fan or the old fan?  Are you using Corsair Link with the new H80i or just letting everything run at full speed?

And Waco makes a good observation about your previous temperatures seeming low.  What were the ambient temperatures when you made your observations when using the H80?  What are the ambient temperatures when you're making your observations on the H80i?

I think a reasonable assumption is that with your particular cpu, at that clock speed, at that voltage, using the H80i (if it's functioning correctly and installed the right way) is that your loaded CPU temperature will be somewhere between 35 and 42C warmer than the ambient air temperature. 

Yes I have new complete kit with new fans. I've played around with Corsair Link settings and it did not do much difference from settings fan speeds to balanced to performance / full speed etc.

Sorry I forgot to mention that idling 20-25 with my h80i was normally during Winter - ambient temperature usually goes down well below 20. However in hotter days, my old h80i would give me idle temps of around 27-33 (give or take)

In the case of the H80i, ambient temperature was around 24 degrees with the AC on.

What really matters is the load temperatures (using prime95) though. With the same ambient temperature and at the same clock speed/voltage, the H80 would give me temperatures of around 60 while the new cooler almost reached the 80s. The stock cooler does not perform much far away from the latter I may add...

It might simply be that the new fans are set for a much lower speed. What profile are you using with it in Corsair Link?

As I said above, I've tried all type of settings but did not make a large difference.

I have the h100i cooling my 2500k clocked at 4.3GHz, and I get around 29-32C at idle with a room temp of around 22C. During load it gets up to around 65C degrees, maybe 68C. I have the two fans that followed with it and a quiet edition SP120 fan hooked up to it, all runing around 1200rpm during load. So I'd say your original temps seem quite low, unless your room is below 20C ambient. But the new idle temps seem quite high.

I don't know about the h80i, but my h100i needed some washers inbetween the waterblock and the mounting bracket due to a small gap, and it's a problem with all h10i afaik. That might be the issue?

Also, it is also good to mention that I am currently using an Asrock z77 Extreme4 board instead of my p67 fatality pro (RMAed). So the new H80i has only been tested out on the z77. Although the cpu block seems tightly fit to the board, can a loose backplate be causing a problem? I've found a thread were a guy mentioned that the Extreme4 is kinda thin and would need extra washers to secure the backplate to the board. In fact, I'll try it out this weekend and let you all know.

where you getting them temps with the old H80 on the old board or the new one? The reason I ask is if you are using auto settings on the new board it could be running hotter due to higher actual voltages even though the cpu is running at the same speed, thus temps would be higher..

where you getting them temps with the old H80 on the old board or the new one? The reason I ask is if you are using auto settings on the new board it could be running hotter due to higher actual voltages even though the cpu is running at the same speed, thus temps would be higher..

I had only used the H80 on the p67 whereas the H80i only on the z77; I hope its clearer now.