Yet another dead flash drive

Tjj226_Angel

Well..... My corsair USB 3.0 drive just kicked the bucket. Bye bye linux partition :cry: . Now if you guys thought my DOA record was unlucky, this is the 4th dead flash drive of this year. Last year I had a grand total of 18 flash drives die on me. I think I should get a world record for that or something.

Most of the flash drives I have bought though were like REALLY cheap crap, which is why I invested in a corsair flash drive. However, I think what killed it was the fact that when I put it on my key chain and let the keys dangle. I think the weight of the keys has bent the connector and now it only works if I plug the flash drive in and push it slightly up. Of course it is sort of a luck thing to even get that method to work.

With that in mind I have decided to say .** it to this flash drive and am looking to buy a new one. That is where you guys come in. I am looking to buy what is basically the closest thing to a bullet proof flash drive so that I have have it on my key chain, sit on it, step on it, and have jesus beat on it with a copper pipe and not have it fail. I would like it to be USB 3.0 and be 32 GB or above. Price is capped at 100 dollars. (I spend 300 on flash drives every year, so if I could stick with one it will make up the price :lol: )

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thing I got the Patriot Xporter drives. The 8GB and 16GB ones I got real cheap and they've lasted a good long while. I keep one on my keychain, the cover's been lost, and I toss my keys onto my desks all the time.

Let's go over the top and get an iornkey :D haha

There are more than a few rugged USB keys around and most of the damage you will do is in pulling them out and pushing them into your PC so just be gentle :lol:

I have had the same issue with some of my USB keys where they only work if I force them up to make contact.

To be more specific, I would like a USB flash drive with great write speed. Preferably something with the same write speed as the read speed of an average mechanical 7200RPM hard drive or more. My goal is to have it so that the only time in which my flash drive is a bottle neck is when I am trying to transfer data from one sata 3 SSD to another. Other then that I want it to be able to keep up with hard drives so that way when I have to do some quick back ups and quick fixes on peoples computers, I can do it as fast as technology allows me.

Edited by Tjj226_Angel

You can get USBs with read/write speeds in excess of 100MB/s if you are set on a $100 price point.

However you may be limited to 16GB opposed to 32GB just look on the egg.

Personally I like patriot USB 3.0 flash drives. They have served me well and they aint dead yet.

I have and love my 32GB Corsair Survivor flash drive. USB 3.0, Waterproof to 200 metres, rugged aluminum housing, and it has a good weight to it. Some people don't like having to unscrew the housing in order to use it... but I'm rougher than most with my things.

I have and love my 32GB Corsair Survivor flash drive. USB 3.0, Waterproof to 200 metres, rugged aluminum housing, and it has a good weight to it. Some people don't like having to unscrew the housing in order to use it... but I'm rougher than most with my things.

I'm still wondering why in the world while diving at 200m you have to be transferring files.. from USB to... wait.. do you happen to use as a key-to open some kind of undersea secret station?

I'm still wondering why in the world while diving at 200m you have to be transferring files.. from USB to... wait.. do you happen to use as a key-to open some kind of undersea secret station?

The watch I'm currently wearing goes to 300M, I've probably only free dived to 30. Of course it's overkill, but I rather have a working flash drive after I accidentally put it through the wash than a broken one.

i lol'd but it makes sense, and that water proofing hoola-hoo might add weight to the price which i aint need. i'll look for those "rough rider" ones if there was instead.

That is the one I am seriously considering. Can you run a test to see what the real world performance is like? That would be so great, and I would really appreciate it :cheers:

If possible RMA that flash drive.

And, if you can, then look into Corsair's Survivor flash drives. I've one 16GB USB3 version of it, and it should last longer than other drives.