IPS or PLS?

NikoDG

I'm in the market looking for a widescreen ultra-definition monitor. For the most part I see people recommending the Dell U2711, but I stumbled across this little monitor in the making. I'm more of a plasma guy, but they don't make ultra-definition plasmas sadly. So, does anyone whose knowledgable about LCD's mind telling me what the difference is between these two styles of monitor? Also, is it worth the extra $400?

PLS - http://www.gadgets-it.com/gadgets/samsung-9-series-s27a970-monitor-review/

IPS - http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&sku=224-8284&redirect=1

I'd still go with the U2711. PLS has the potential to be nice, but I think it needs more time to mature. Samsung should switch to full array LED backlighting on those since they could benefit from it, until then, stick with IPS panels.

No one knows for sure yet the main difference between PLS and IPS. It's probably just a different placement of the electrodes to get the 100% viewing angle, and the LED's to make it brighter. Like bp said, if they had a full array of LED backlighting, that would make them the more superior panel.

• 2 weeks later...

dell ultrasharp all the way. the 24" model and above does 30bit color (which is a billion colors). being 99% color accurate when calibrated is really nice. I know nothing about PLS so i suggest going with a proven good monitor and technology.

For comparison TN panels do about 70% RGB range and some of the older models like my ultrasharp 23" does 97% RGB. I once in a great while noticed two colors in photoshop looking the same but it's rare. On TN panels you will have either a Blueish or Yellowish tint which will bug you to death once you realize this.

I have a feeling PLS panels sacrifice color for contrast and better viewing range. Only a guess...

Edited by hornybluecow