MSI sent me the wrong card....

I don't know how you can say what MSI meant.  All it says on the box is " under 30db noise and under 70C at full load".  So it gives room for interpretation.   I don't really know why you don't think it would apply to furmark?  And what is it that's so bad about furmark anyway?  It seems like a good card with good cooling should be able to run it problem free.

I just replaced the tim on the TI.  Ran kombuster for 8 minutes and it never broke 64C and held there.   Seems to meet the specs fine now. 

Another discovery when I pulled the cooler to swap the tim, I found that the mosfet heatsink is missing too.  I already talked to msi about the bracket, they didn't have parts, so just dropped the issue and was happy with the card.  I think the heatsink is more important so I'll give them another call on Monday.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know how you can say what MSI meant.  All it says on the box is " under 30db noise and under 70C at full load".  So it gives room for interpretation.   I don't really know why you don't think it would apply to furmark?  And what is it that's so bad about furmark anyway?  It seems like a good card with good cooling should be able to run it problem free.

I just replaced the tim on the TI.  Ran kombuster for 8 minutes and it never broke 64C and held there.   Seems to meet the specs fine now. 

Another discovery when I pulled the cooler to swap the tim, I found that the mosfet heatsink is missing too.  I already talked to msi about the bracket, they didn't have parts, so just dropped the issue and was happy with the card.  I think the heatsink is more important so I'll give them another call on Monday.

combuster is way lighter then furmark tho.

combuster is more what games could throw at you instead of furmark killing cards and hit.

if i use kombuster and set physix to cpu i get 72c~ (on gou doesnt increase the temp) on my gtx 480, but i if go furmark a 100c is quite possible.

I know because its my job to know. There is no room for interpretation because not every manufacturer has an iteration of Furmark or OCCT built into their tools for use. If it is not a universal test supported by all GPU manufacturers and add in board partners then it is not the standard for measurement.  Both AMD and NVIDIA have come out publicly against Furmark and OCCT as well as most of the board add in partners. Besides I get to see the back end testing results, test systems and games used for the load testing. 

Unless the card specifically came with a mosfet heatsink (some do and some don't) then it most likely is not there for a reason.

Interesting stuff. So is there an actual standard of measurement? Or is it just the usual host of benchmarks?

Here's my 560:

IMAG1262_zpsb986261c.jpg

Any the ti:

IMAG1261_zpsf62484fa.jpg

The card we reviewed did not have a mosfet cooler either so it looks like it is not an included piece.

015.jpg

Just an update.  Gotta say, although I've had issues with MSI products their customer service is always really great.  

So I found that you cannot SLI a 560 and a 560ti.  (I'm sure there is some obscure hack out there that might let this work but that's not the point).  So I gave a call back to MSI.  I had let them know in the original RMA that I had two cards that I SLI and that this was a problem with just one of them.  So, when I called back they checked inventory, no 560 around, and offered to upgrade my other 560 to a TI model too!  Sweet!  more than I would expect, and really good people on the phone.

So new card came with the stuff that was missing from the first TI (the stiffening bracket and mosfet heatsink).  So I just harvested them from the 560 I was sending back.   Done and better than ever, thank you MSI!