Keep animated gifs under 1 meg. Tips?

NCC10281982B

Here are the settings used.

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

The results:

Capture.PNG

xbKHAVU.gif

Tumblr, for example, will not load gifs if they are larger than 1 meg. So I am looking for tips to shrink my efforts. I prefer not to reduce the frame rate and size too far of course.

THX

With the right optimization you can have some pretty high quality GIFs, it just takes a bit to get the settings right.

Search around for some other programs though, as when i was doing it some time last year it took me quite awhile to find a program that let me output anything worthwhile.

I wish I could remember what the program was called, I know it was a universal video converter that offered GIF as an output format and not a standalone GIF converter though.

GIFs cannot be compressed, they are not JPEGs. The only two things you can do to lower file size is to reduce number of frames(removing some of the 51 images)

or reduce image size (going lower than 320x200). 1.2MB is pretty small for a 51 images animated gif.

Your program is fine, as it does the only thing doable with a GIF, adding frames after frames.

post-72615-0-91685400-1378138146_thumb.gif

Well I don't have the source images but here's a 320KB GIF from the one you posted.  The trick is to separate things out into layers of animation vs. background --

So in Photoshop I just cut the TIE Defender out as a separate layer then positioned it on a static background.  That way the GIF is generated with slices of static and dynamic content.

Your program is fine, as it does the only thing doable with a GIF, adding frames after frames.

I disagree, not all things designed to do what they say they do do what they say they do better than something that says it does what this does in addition to doing lots of other things.

As Blue Panda pointed out starting with a source material that wasn't grainy ideally you (doing it manually) or the program would isolate the parts that didn't need to be repeated every frame and just animate what was necessary.

What is the source of this video animation Jeff?

It looks like its from a video game.

Its from tie fighter. I use dos boxes built in capture system. If there options for what blue talked about I have not found them yet. I used to have Adobe image ready CS2 but that won't activate anymore. I also capture stuff using fraps. Which is great because of the built in FR & demotions control.