Need advice on liquid cooling for X99 build

XeroHertZ

Hi all,

So finally after 5 years of waiting from my current X58 build i'm having a major upgrade and i'm pretty excited !!!!

I would like to have advice on which closed loop liquid cooling option I should go for, bear in mind that I prefer to have my case quiet, so some quiet fan options and whatever would be nice. I'm also still not sure about the Rampage V Extreme as I might change it for the Asus X99 Deluxe, keep in mind that i'll be using a dedicated sound card and 2x GTX 980's in SLI. The case is also subject to change.

My budget is from $5000 to $5500

Chasis: Corsair 750D (moving from current HAF-X)
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme
CPU:Intel Haswell-E 5930k
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 2666hz C15 Memory Kit
Graphics Card: 2x EVGA GTX 980

The Corsair AX1200 is more than fine. I'm still kicking that PSU on a few builds.

Any closed loop liquid cooling has the potential for loud noise. I usually get aftermarket fans, like Scythe GentleTyphoon D1225C12B5AP-15 120mm 1850's, or Noctua, or Corsair fans, etc. Depends on the radiator.

My recommendation would be the Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate, and replace those noisy fans with six of the above fans in push/pull at 7V's, so at around 1073 RPM's. Will be nice and cool, and pretty darn quiet.

@El_Capitan

Thanks for your input. I guess i'll stick with the PSU then since I never had any power problems with it.

As for the Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate, i'll take a look at it and read some reviews and see the fan options.

Any more input is more than welcome...cheers :)

Intel 730 over the Samsung 840 Pro, but with those two, it's pretty close to choose just whichever's cheaper.

Alrighty...i'm gonna double check the prices then decide. I'm also getting a Samsung 850 pro 1TB for my gaming drive.

You don't need anything crazy for a gaming drive. The benefit of SSD's for game loading is the access time. All the big things like IOPS and Sequential Read/Write doesn't do anything to speed up game load times.

Intel 730 over the Samsung 840 Pro, but with those two, it's pretty close to choose just whichever's cheaper.

Alrighty...i'm gonna double check the prices then decide. I'm also getting a Samsung 850 pro 1TB for my gaming drive.

You don't need anything crazy for a gaming drive. The benefit of SSD's for game loading is the access time. All the big things like IOPS and Sequential Read/Write doesn't do anything to speed up game load times.

So, it's not worth it?? Hmmm...a 2TB WD Caviar Black is good enough for gaming?

If you're comparing "slow" SSDs to "fast" SSDs sure...but an SSD will blow away a HDD every time in game loading times.

If you're comparing "slow" SSDs to "fast" SSDs sure...but an SSD will blow away a HDD every time in game loading times.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying... ?