Random lag while gaming

Onion

I decided to start gaming again, so I bought GTA IV and Hitman Absolution. I tried playing GTA IV and after playing a little while, I'd get some SERIOUS lag to the point where its unplayable. Then, a little while later, it just stops lagging (without stopping playing). Same thing with Hitman. Start playing, get some lag after a few minutes, then it stops, then it starts, then it stops. No overheating, and its not system requirements, I'm way over the requirements and I have nothing else running in the background. 

i7 3610QM

GTX 650M

8 GB DDR3 

SSD

No reason for it to not run properly. :( Help?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you certain heat has nothing to do with it? It sounds like it may be throttling itself to protect itself. One other thing do you have it plugged into the wall and not running off the battery?

Are you certain heat has nothing to do with it? It sounds like it may be throttling itself to protect itself. One other thing do you have it plugged into the wall and not running off the battery?

Plugged into the wall, and yeah, I'm running 80-90 celcius, but I've had it over 100 celcius while gaming before with no problem. 

This is on win7?

Try a newer driver version like 314.22

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/59645

but first open "dxdiag" and see if both directdraw and direct3d are enabled.

you can type dxdiag in run or just search for it in the start menu.

Windows 8.

I updated like 10 minutes ago, actually. :lol: I just checked, and yeah, they're both enabled. 

This is on win7?

Windows 8.

I updated like 10 minutes ago, actually. :lol: I just checked, and yeah, they're both enabled. 

Well there's your problem haha

80-90C is pretty hot and there is every chance it is downclocking. You should run some monitoring software and have a look at what the clock speeds, utilization and temps do while you game,

This is on win7?

Windows 8.

Well there's your problem haha

80-90C is pretty hot and there is every chance it is downclocking. You should run some monitoring software and have a look at what the clock speeds, utilization and temps do while you game,

I agree with stoner here, 80-90c is quite hot and while it is entirely possible for them to run normally at that temp, it is also possible that it is throttling to save itself from damage.

I had a similiar problem way back when I had an 8800gt (single slot cooling solution from galaxy or something), it was hitting 80c in WoW then downclocked to 400Mhz before finally kicking the fan to 100% and getting back to 600Mhz in a few minutes - It was crippling lag while this process was going in.

I attributed my problem to poor software/drivers and I haven't had any problems with any of the gfx cards I've had since. (Currently using 2 gtx 580's that sit at a nice and cool 40c under load with the w/c loop)

I should have mentioned that's CPU heat. :lol: I downloaded the latest drivers and Afterburner. I'll monitor CPU and GPU temps while I play and also see my GPU speeds to see if its throttling itself. I'll fill you guys in later. Thanks for the help everyone.