Another "Windows 7 not seeing all my RAM" thread...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And we delve even deeper into the twilight zone! Last night I figured I would try each DIMM to make sure each one worked. You know, power off, put 1 stick of RAM in the first slot, power on, repeat for the other slots. Know what I found? The PC won't even POST unless there is a stick of RAM in EVERY slot. How's that for weird? WTF is going on here?!

Edited by TRWeiss1

And we delve even deeper into the twilight zone! Last night I figured I would try each DIMM to make sure each one worked. You know, power off, put 1 stick of RAM in the first slot, power on, repeat for the other slots. Know what I found? The PC won't even POST unless there is a stick of RAM in EVERY slot. How's that for weird? WTF is going on here?!

Time for RMA. I guess it is the result of some problem with memory controller in the motherboard.

Sword Fish hit on two very important things to check. Namely over-torque of the cpu cooler and/or bent cpu pins in the socket. Either of these could cause the exact problem you're describing. The other thing to try (if neither of the two previous conditions exist). Take QPI voltage off of automatic and set it at 1.25 - 1.28v

Manually set your DRAM voltage at .05 higher than the nominal spec. supplied by the memory mfg.

And to echo Waco's recommendation to leave the msconfig options alone - I agree with him 100%. You shouldn't make any changes there.

Thanks guys. I should have provided a bit more info. Yes, I have completely removed the CPU/heatsink, checked for bent pins, and reinstalled it... No change whatsoever. My QPI voltage is 1.30 (and has been for quite some time), and my memory is set to 1.6v (no change if I leave it set to auto). This seems to be a problem I'm just going to have to live with, unless I get another mobo. Then, the argument could be made that if I need to get another mobo I might as well get one that's more up to date, which of course would warrant buying a new CPU... And I'm not looking to do that kind of an upgrade, at least not just yet.

Edited by TRWeiss1