'Bout time for a new build... To i7 or to i5, that is the questio

Long story short, I'm going to be building a new right shortly.  Probably within 3-4 weeks.  I'm torn between saving a hundred bucks or so and going with an i5 build, or spending the extra cash for an i7.  I play Planetside 2, and the main reason I'm building a new rig is because I'm lucky to get 25fps in big battles in the game, and it's kindof anoying getting my ass kicked by people that have a major response time advantage on me simply because they have a solid FPS.  

More-or-less from what I've been reading there isn't much of a performance difference in Ps2 between the folks with i5's and i7's.  I've been debating for a while if the i7 would be worth the extra $150 or so for what I want to use it for.

Any thoughts on the subject?  Any of you happen to play Ps2 on an i5 AND an i7 able to confirm the difference?

http://www.hardwarepal.com/2014/01/28/planetside-2-cpu-benchmark/

Have you tried optimizing your settings in the UserOptions.ini file?

I have tried multiple different UserOptions.ini configs...  Nothing seems to improve my FPS.  I'll give that one a shot now - I'll report back with info.

However, your article did answer my question perfectly...  Surprisingly enough, according to them, the i5 actually performs BETTER in Ps2...  Didn't see that coming, but then again I'm no hardware professional.  

Thanks, bud.  ;)

Yeah, I just tried their exact config - same as every other time.  Game looks amazing, I get 50+ fps everywhere, but as soon as I get into an area with 96+ people it's 15-20 fps.  I'm completely CPU bound, it just can't handle the massive amount of entities being drawn and updated at the same time.  On one hand, SOE needs to optimize this game... seriously, they REALLY need to put in some work and optimize it.  On the other hand, I need an i5.  

Just wish that article had a comparison to my E8500 so I'd know exactly how big of a performance boost I'd get with an i5.

Anything in here that may help that the article Cap linked didn't?

Looking around, seems like some people say HyperThreading really helps in PlanetSide 2, while others say it doesn't (depending on where you look at the Steam and Tom's Hardware forums). If you have other uses for an HT i7 besides PlanetSide 2, could be an option if you can swing the cash. Otherwise, an i5, like a 4690K, would work out just as well, imo. This article provides some comparisons of CPUs, but nothing as old as your current.

ARGH!  I'm extremely tempted to get a Core2Quad Extreme 6700...  Or any of the QX series CPU's...  I can get a used QX6700 for 50 bucks off Amazon that will slap right into my 775 without me having to spend extra money on a new MB (I really like my MB... lol)

I've found conflicting articles and benchmarks that, mostly, say that a Core2Quad Extreme actually out-performs the i3, and according to that Ps2 benchmark the i3 was "stable" with a minimum fps of 30...

I mean $50 upgrade to the QX6700 is hard to argue with...  But will it be worth it?  Also, are these chips overclockable?  

Anyone have experience with the Core2Quads can confirm how they stack against the i3/i5?

It may be worth it for $50, but no more than that. My friend only has an e8400 at your clocks with the same video card and he doesn't have trouble with anything (other than Farcry 4, but who doesn't right?)

It may be worth it for $50, but no more than that. My friend only has an e8400 at your clocks with the same video card and he doesn't have trouble with anything (other than Farcry 4, but who doesn't right?)

I'm playin Planetside 2 bro...  20 FPS with 96+/96+ people within 100 meters...  All I really want is like 30-32 FPS minimum and I'd be happy.

It's a short-term upgrade that will do you well for a while, but you'll probably be upgrading to something bigger before long. So you just need to see if dropping $50 is worth it now and then a few hundred later on, or doing the few hundred or so now to last you for a lot longer.

It's a short-term upgrade that will do you well for a while, but you'll probably be upgrading to something bigger before long. So you just need to see if dropping $50 is worth it now and then a few hundred later on, or doing the few hundred or so now to last you for a lot longer.

Good point, maybe go for a "lower" C2Q like a Q9450/Q9550 and overclock it the hard way but maximize value.

I'd say a Q9#50 will atleast get you to 3.8ghz, my old Q9450 got to 4.0ghz

Really 3.8ghz to 4.0ghz performance would be a negligible difference but the cores will help you alot

Edited by IVIYTH0S