SSD RAID 0 Question

CanadaGUY

Currently have a 64GB OCZ Agility (first version), and I'm quickly running out of space on it. Was wondering, if I pair it with another SSD does it have to be the exact same one, or could I just grab an agility 3 60GB and use it. I'm not really worried about the speed boost, cause I know it will probably still be pretty much the same which is fast enough. Just want the extra speed without paying over $100

It helps if they are the same spec.

I wouldn't raid these 2 drives together as they are just too far apart for speeds.

Did you look on craigslist, kijiji or ebay for the same drive you have now

Alright, that helps a bunch.

I think I'm just gonna grab a 120GB SSD and probably ditch this one to my girlfriends computer. The 120GB should be able to cover up most of all the programs I have just fine was just wondering if I could get away with just RAID'ing so I didn't have to have 2 separate drives.

Cheers

I think it's a bad idea to put ssd's in RAID. TRIM does not work when the drives are in raid. The performance of the SSD raid array will just get slower and slower without trim. Trim is a HUGE feature in keeping the drives performing their best and makes a huge difference.

If you can only afford another 60GB SSD than you should sell your current SSD and use that money towards a 120GB or if you are open to it the 128GB Crucial drives have the best 4k random read speeds even better than the very best sandforce drives, which is what determines how fast the computer boots and loads programs. 4k random read is the most important spec and you get an extra 8GB of space and the crucial drives are more reliable than the sandforce drives except maybe the sandforce driven cherryville intel 520 one with their custom firmware that took over a year to complete, but it's priced at quite the premium just to get a reliable sandforce drive.

Crucial drives are priced competitively, have very good reliability compared to the BSOD sandforces, and are the kings of random reads and near the top of random writes as well.

Edited by Laststop

At this point in time most drives have quite a good garbage collection and the lack of trim does not hamper their performance when run in RAID.

You can also run two SSDs of different speeds in raid it won't stop them working.

However have you considered selling your SSD and upgrading to a single 120gb? Unless you look at benchmarks all day or do serious encoding ect you won't see the performance difference in day to day activities where 4k writes are king and where raid does jack to improve them.