Temps for FX-8150

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends really. My CHip will still hit 4.9 after some pretty lengthy Prime 95 runs at high temps.

IDK man, I'm still gonna have to say I'd try and avoid those higher temps.

I'm all for hitting high temps in the name of a screenshot or for running a benchmark. But sustaining the high temps for a long term overclock is a no go in my book.

If we were talking about only being slightly over the max temp I'd say don't worry about it. Heck, the sandy bridge chips have a max temp set somewhere in the 70's, but the general consensus for them is stay below 80c. But the OPs temps were just to far over for me.

@OP

As has probably been stated (I skimmed this last page) the temperature readings on these newer AMD chips can be very off. From what I've seen they're usually on the low side. So it can be hard to decide what to trust in terms of readings. In that regard I would listen to what ccokeman said.

As for the huge increase from stock to overclocked temps. I'm assuming you didn't just randomly choose the vcore and that you incremented it up. Dropping the vcore down (you'll likely need to settle with a lower overclock) will give you more friendly temps.

If your really looking to run at 5ghz for long periods of time it may be a good investment to purchase a full blown water loop. Just something to think about.

And Dr. Death can't read above a fourth grade level as usual.

Read carefully or you will have egg on your face Dr. Death.

What I was saying is that better fans have the potential POTENTIAL to lower temps. However, I contradicted myself to say that chances are the cooler is operating at peak performance with the current fans. Yet still, because there is no way to test the water temp coming out of the H80 rad, there is not a 100 percent guarantee that the cooler is operation at 100 percent efficiency.

Now mind you, the chances of the cooling rad operating at peak performance is like 99.99% chance. However, because I am a paranoid person when it comes to taking every possible path there is to fix a problem I would switch the fans out only after trying everything else I could. Logically would it make a difference? No. That is why I said to go with the silverstone ones. If it doesn't make a difference then he has at least quieted down his pc and lost 26 dollars instead of 40. Better yet, if it does work, then he just fixed a problem for 26 bucks AND made his PC quieter. I mean .* happens. All I am saying is, if he has tried everything and is out of options, why not try fans? I have seen so much weird stuff with computers, that adding new fans would probably be one of the first things I do with my backwards luck :lol:

So was it a recommendation NO. In fact I was saying to not get new fans for the moment. The only thing I was saying in favor of the fans is that desperate times call for desperate measures so don't rule it out.

So there is a method to my madness Dr. Death, the problem is if I go around writing well thought out responses, they would take up a page. So I try to make it concise as I can and hope that people like you won't try to twist my words.

So let me finish this up with something. I get that my writing style is not the easiest to understand in the world and I was prepared for a lot of misunderstandings, but you Dr. Death are so absolutely wrong about what I say that I am only left to assume you are taking some sort of aggression out on me, or you really can't read at all. I have seen you twist my words (which with in a certain construct means nothing) and I have seen you twist the words of some very intelligent people who are far beyond me and you put together, and then you think they are so far below you. It would be one thing if you had proof that we were wrong, but you usually just misquote us and look like a fool. I mean you are suggesting the rad isn't mounted right, and you want to talk about crapshooting? Even if he has the push pull running as an exhaust rather than an intake, the numbers are still off by a few degrees. Dude you really have some issues that you need to fix.

@OP

Takes this fools advice with a grain of salt. He is not the know all PC wizard he thinks he is. Heck, take my advice with a grain of salt too. At least I know I am not the PC god......though I think Computer Ed and Dr. Death think that I think that I am one :lol:

The peoples advice that you should really be trusting would be

StonerBoy

Boinker

Wevspot

El Captin

Bosco

Blue Monkey

Waco

Taco hunter

If I had a crisis with my PC that I could not solve at all, I would be in good hands if I PMed anyone of those guys. Basically, these are the people who are the PC wizards who Dr. Death wants to imagine himself as.

Also I do hope you understand that you should only get new fans as a last resort or if you feel like you need new fans. I never said that they were the answer to all your problems.

Edit: I forgot nyt ryda and Mythos. There are probably some others that I will find and update this post.

Next time post the cliff notes. Too long of a rant...lol

So far what I suggested is working. Breath in, breath out TJ. watch me fix his problem. The guys you suggested are awesome AMD PHD's but Taco will back my credentials. You just to hyper, slow down my friend.

When I drink, I prefer los boobies ( . Y . )

Edited by Drdeath

So far what I suggested is working. Breath in, breath out TJ. watch me fix his problem. The guys you suggested are awesome AMD PHD's but Taco will back my credentials. You just to hyper, slow down my friend.

What he said. :lol:

Dude, look I had already suggested too much thermal paste and improper mounting like 5 posts ago. I am no idiot either. A lot of what I recommend doing that is a bot unorthodox to some is only because I have seen to much weird stuff end up being the answer to a problem. All I was saying was if you have tried everything try fans. I had a audio driver problem about 6 months ago and no one on this planet could fix it. I don't want to go into too much detail because I think by now you can understand that when I try everything, I mean everything. You know what fixed it? I downloaded a Beatles song to transfer over to my psp. For about 2 months I had no sound and then all of a sudden it started playing the song on my pc. If .* like that could happen, new fans suddenly becomes a more plausible answer. Get my point?

Look, my problem is that I know crap too. I understand that I am WAY down low on the food chain, and that my writing style doesn't always make sense, but I am usually suggesting the same thing anyone else would. I laid out why the new fans would be a waste, and I recommended some good test fans if the OP felt like that was his last hope. Then you come around and say that I am suggesting fans.....Huh? No? I laid out why there are more than likely useless. Then I recommended fans that wouldn't cost him an arm and a leg if it didn't work just in case he felt like (again) it was his last option. So I have no idea how you got to thinking that I was saying they would work? Then you say I am crap shooting when I and 5 other people have already suggested that the cooler isn't mounted right and that the OP is getting better temps by trying to re-seat it? So not only is your advice useless at this point, but you are now the one crap shooting. On top of that you act like you are going to fix all the problems when you and I both know darn well El Capitan was on this thread all along and was probably doing the best job he could at guiding the OP.

I have sent some of our conversations to some moderators and they agree with me that there is something wrong. I don't know if you are just such an AMD fan boy that you now are actively pursuing my comments to twist my words because I just upset you THAT much with the flame wars or what, but something is up, and I would really like to fix it.

Dude, look I had already suggested too much thermal paste and improper mounting like 5 posts ago. I am no idiot either. A lot of what I recommend doing that is a bot unorthodox to some is only because I have seen to much weird stuff end up being the answer to a problem. All I was saying was if you have tried everything try fans. I had a audio driver problem about 6 months ago and no one on this planet could fix it. I don't want to go into too much detail because I think by now you can understand that when I try everything, I mean everything. You know what fixed it? I downloaded a Beatles song to transfer over to my psp. For about 2 months I had no sound and then all of a sudden it started playing the song on my pc. If .* like that could happen, new fans suddenly becomes a more plausible answer. Get my point?

Look, my problem is that I know crap too. I understand that I am WAY down low on the food chain, and that my writing style doesn't always make sense, but I am usually suggesting the same thing anyone else would. I laid out why the new fans would be a waste, and I recommended some good test fans if the OP felt like that was his last hope. Then you come around and say that I am suggesting fans.....Huh? No? I laid out why there are more than likely useless. Then I recommended fans that wouldn't cost him an arm and a leg if it didn't work just in case he felt like (again) it was his last option. So I have no idea how you got to thinking that I was saying they would work? Then you say I am crap shooting when I and 5 other people have already suggested that the cooler isn't mounted right and that the OP is getting better temps by trying to re-seat it? So not only is your advice useless at this point, but you are now the one crap shooting. On top of that you act like you are going to fix all the problems when you and I both know darn well El Capitan was on this thread all along and was probably doing the best job he could at guiding the OP.

I have sent some of our conversations to some moderators and they agree with me that there is something wrong. I don't know if you are just such an AMD fan boy that you now are actively pursuing my comments to twist my words because I just upset you THAT much with the flame wars or what, but something is up, and I would really like to fix it.

TJ, your way to easy to get under your skin! Your not way down the food chain. Your responses are definitely lengthy..... Sometimes I bust your nads all in good though!

I still prefer los boobies! ( . Y . )

Edited by Drdeath

was a very small (size of pencile eraser) that did not have paste on it .. (water block slide ...like it did not make contact or lacked paste) .so put a small dab on that and spred it out ..

Overclocking 101:

If both matting surfaces aren't perfectly flat, your not going to get optimal results from your cooling solution.

You should always mount and then remove your cooler to check for TIM coverage before even starting up your computer for the first time.

Lap or return the cooler for a new one for best results.

You would think so wouldn't you?. Recently top end cooling solution companies (most notably Thermalright's Silver Arrow, and Phanteks PH-TC14PE) have begun putting a slight convex surface on their bases to exert more pressure on the center of the CPU. It appears to work as these are two of the top performing air coolers on the market. I use a Silver Arrow myself and for customer builds. I can tell you that after mounting and removing the cooler. It shows an even coverage of the thermal compound area wise, but you can tell it is thinner along the convex ridge. I have not seen the research, but it seems to indicate that higher mounting pressure used with the convex surface is either deforming the convexity partially, or the higher pressure in the center makes for a better heat transfer...or both.

airman notes this in his review of the Phanteks as well.

http://www.overclock...ph_tc14pe/2.htm

Concerning strange temps from various software programs I am leaning at thinking an asus hardware monitor software would be the best choice because the board the sys is on is an asus board.

The basic way to decrease temps significantly further would be additional rad or higher cfm fans (but only if the fans are pushing some significant more cfm like ~50cfm). The tweaked methods to decrease temps slightly would be a rad shroud, push/pull, and increasing fan speed and pump speed.

I have read the same info about the slight convex, but it to unbelievable that a ~3mm square cpu heatsink base metal will flatten on the cpu. It is more likely that the tim is merely filling this area. I will second a vote for seeing the research though.

I think your right about it "flattening out" I think it is probably (as i said deforming to some point ) ...like halving the beginning radius. another possibility is that the heatspreader is being pushed in a bit as well. Although that theory seems unlikely merely because i wouldn't think a company that manufactures heat-sinks would take the risk of changing the shape of the CPU. Although they keep building heatsinks that exceed the motherboards cantilevered weight recommendations.

In the case of the Silver Arrow, after mounting and then removing to inspect the spread of the TIM, there is roughly an area of 3mm of almost no compound right down the middle of the convex ridge. I would like to see the research as well. It seems like a simple enough concept. The more pressure between two metal surfaces, the better the transfer.At some point though, they are trading surface area for better contact. Whatever the combination of events happening when you clamp it down, it sure seems to work.  

TJ, your way to easy to get under your skin! Your not way down the food chain. Your responses are definitely lengthy..... Sometimes I bust your nads all in good though!

I still prefer los boobies! ( . Y . )

Well as long as you aren't directly perusing my comments to get some sort of revenge for the AMD flame wars I started, then I suppose it is fine.

As for my lengthy responses, as my English teacher told me, I have never had a single simple thought in my life. :P

I am still not understanding what you mean by the second part. What is it supposed to mean?....................other than the obvious :lol:

@ OP: Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling core temp? I don't mean to ask a stupid question, but just in case you haven't, try it and see what happens.