Best speakers for $50?

Crow47

Hey all, long time. I'm looking for some recommendations for desktop speakers. My budget is about $50, MAX would be $60-65 (if it's really worth it). I have a great home theater setup downstairs, so my needs for these speakers are more modest, I just want the best bang for my buck upstairs on my computer. What would you recommend?

Is this for music or gaming? If for gaming I would suggest a good headset, usually more immersive than speakers. For music I still prefer a good headset but if you want budget speakers there are a few to try. Logitech makes some pretty good budget stuff as does Cyber Acoustic. The set I liked below I have heard in action and they did not sound bad at all.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N80PR9496

For budget range speakers I'll second ComputerEd's recommendation.  I've used both CA and Logitech 2.1 systems and I was happy with the purchases.  Of the two I'd lean towards Logitech though.  I've had two CA 2.1 sets go down after a little more than 2 years worth of use (and I don't torture either).  But my current Logitech 2.1 set has been running perfectly going on 3.5 years now.  

I can second the logitech regarding quality. I've had my Z4 for 5 years I think, and they've been played maxed out, carried around and such, and they are still going strong. Not sure what they cost back then, but logitech does make good quality imo.

Right now I have a pretty small room in my apartment, so space is a consideration. As such, I'm looking for a really rock-solid 2.0 system. I also do way more music listening at the moment. For gaming I actually have a pretty decent pair of headphones, but I've encountered several situations where speakers would be preferable.

Right now I've been reading up on this: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57439115-47/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-$70/

It's a little more than I wanted to spend, but considering the quality it almost seems worth it. Anybody have any experience with this setup?

Edited by Crow47

That's what I was going to recommend, grab a pair of cheap used sff bookshelf speakers and a small amp.

They'll blow any el-cheapo' desktop speakers away.

+1, I did this and never looked back.

How about something like this for $32.95? You could probably build it into your PC case and power it from the +12V rail if your power supply is up to the job.

Wow, I respect the DIY-ness of that, but given my current rig, I think that's a little more into it than I want to get. I'd give you +1 for unique-ness of the suggestion, though. Props!

That's what I was going to recommend, grab a pair of cheap used sff bookshelf speakers and a small amp.

Yeah, I actually just now pulled the trigger on the Dayton's with Leapa amp. With prime shipping they should be here Wednesday. I'll post pictures and impressions if anybody cares.

How about something like this for $32.95? You could probably build it into your PC case and power it from the +12V rail if your power supply is up to the job.

Wow, I respect the DIY-ness of that, but given my current rig, I think that's a little more into it than I want to get. I'd give you +1 for unique-ness of the suggestion, though. Props!

Yeah, I actually just now pulled the trigger on the Dayton's with Leapa amp. With prime shipping they should be here Wednesday. I'll post pictures and impressions if anybody cares.

Please share your thoughts. I've had my Logitech X530s for 6+ years now and I think it's time to retire them. I'm no audiophile, so your opinions matter.

Please share your thoughts. I've had my Logitech X530s for 6+ years now and I think it's time to retire them. I'm no audiophile, so your opinions matter.

Will do, FUZi0N! Most of my "desktop" speakers have been Logitech or something similar, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend $$ on them again. I figure there has to be something better out there for those "in the know". I'll let you know for sure.