grub help

bishop245

I was dual booting the work comp with win vista business and ubuntu 10, but I forgot my password for ubuntu, I decided to go ahead and just format that partition and swap partition. Now grub is still there and I dont know how to get into my windows drive to back it up and maybe go back to xp on it.

nudder linux noob in need of major help :teehee:

well if i read that right you got rid of Ubuntu and just want windows right? if so you can put the vista cd in and go to the command line repair and run fixmbr that should remove grub and restore the windows boot loader

I forgot to add thanks to our old office manager I can't find the vista disk only xp and there are things I need to keep in the windows partition or I would say screw it and go back to xp. These are the problem you run into backing up once a week lol. I do my back up on friday and I fubared the comp on thursday and yes I have new data I need to keep

well as long as you have the coa sticker I don't see why you cant find a disk online loard knows there are plenty out there

EDIT. I sent you a PM

Edited by wormy

Well the mbr is fubar but I will fix it on Saturday most likely. Not real sure if I will go ahead and dual boot again or just go with my last backup and run winblows or Ubuntu.

I like having Linux on my comp because it means coworkers stay away from it :)

If you are using grub 1, hit 'c' to go to the command line (it'll say what to press at the bottom of the screen) then type "root(hd0,0)" (assuming your windows install is on the first partition on the first disk, 0 is the first, 1 is the second, etc) hit enter. then type "chainloader +1" then "boot" so it will be something like

grub> root (hd0,0)

grub> chainloader +1

grub> boot

Or you can edit an entry with 'e' and change it to

root (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

On grub 2, you do the same thing but the commands are slightly different, its

grub> set root=(hd0,1)

grub> chainloader +1

assuming your windows install is on the first partition on the first disk.

Edited by Skipinder

Thanks I will try that in the morning when I go into work just to play with my borked computer lol. I still havent decided if I am going to just say screw it and run ubuntu or some other linux distro, or just stay with windows.

I would like to use linux as my primary for work so maybe I could learn to use it more aptly.