EyeFinity Question

Okay so here the deal my roommate is trying to run 3 monitors on his PC. hes tried everything to get all 3 to work ( 2 worked great) he has a Dell inspiron 620 with a Core i3 2100 300 Watt PSU Sapphire Radeon HD 6450 GFX WIndows 7 Home Premium 64bit

i know for a fact all 6xxx Series gpus thru AMD support Eyefinity or atleast 3 monitors simul. but for whatever reason his wont sync. 1 monitor always black. In windows he gets this message "unable to save settings" when he tries to extended monitor to 3rd screen. Hes updated all the drivers to the latest. played with all the Eyefinity settings in CCC. could it be windows 7 home dosent support 3 monitors?

the setup he is using on card is: 1 monitor plugged into vga port. one into the dvi and the middle monitor into the hdmi port thru a hdmi to dvi adapter. all 3 screens are the exact brand and model.

What gives and what advice can i give him to get setup to work?

Active dp to dvi adapter for the third unless he has a sapphire flex

^ This.

You need at least one of your monitors plugged into the display port. If your monitors doesn't support dp, you'll need an active dp converter like these ones:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999034

Did that change from the 5000 to the 6000 series? I haven't run Eyefinity since my 5870 days, but I know when I was playing around with it, the adapter had to be active. That was when the active adapters were close to $100 also :doh: Which is why, back then, I wasn't going to run Eyefinity, until I grabbed the Sapphire DP to DVI from Newegg Open Box for about the price they are today :evilgrin:

EDIT: :lol: @ myself, the 1920 x 1080 only part I guess just didn't register. So you do need an active adapter still to run Eyefinity, which is what I though ;)

Did that change from the 5000 to the 6000 series? I haven't run Eyefinity since my 5870 days, but I know when I was playing around with it, the adapter had to be active. That was also when the active adapters were close to $100 also :doh: Which is why, back then, I wasn't going to run Eyefinity, until I grabbed the Sapphire DP to DVI from Newegg Open Box for about the price they are today :evilgrin:

Not that I'm aware of. :dunno:

Yeah I remember those 'big' Dell Active DP converter for around ~$150. I think they're still on sale today.