New HDD needed

Cespenar

Hi people :rolleyes:

Got a problem with Game storage. 500 GB is now to small.

I was just reading  Backblaze etc.

Makes my wish for a Seagate not a good idea.

I have a Seagate 500GB and a WD 320GB

I don't really need a SSD but I will put up a list of hard drives and ask you all to give an opinion please.

SSD Crucial MX100 256GB $139 AU.

SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256GB $215 AU.

HDD Western Digital Black 1TB WD1003FZEX $95 AU.

Looking forward to your responses. :thx:

Just read a review of Sandisk extreme Pro. In Aussie it cost from $169 up to $260 Please add it to your opinions.

Edited by Cespenar

Where are you looking to buy from? Nothing wrong with Seagate drives in my experience.

So are you getting a SSD AND a bigger harddrive or just a SSD to offset some of your active games/programs/OS? If both I'd get the Crucial (assuming that's the cheapest SSD 240-256GB) and then get a 1-2TB drive that isn't a Black...they're usually so overpriced you can get a drive twice their size for the same price :lol:

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Hi, Ivy,

PCCasegear in Melbourne.

A link from here took me to Blackblaze and it seems Seagate has a big rise in failure rates. I haven't experienced this yet.

An SSD would be nice for OS and things like CPU-Z etc.

I have a 320 gig HDD with the OS at the mo, and the 500GB Seagate has 49GB left. I cant do a backup in machine at the mo.

If my daughter wants to fork out for an SSD for Christmas then so be it. But the 1TB is the essential one. I'll put the games on it, and use the Seagate 500 to do restore points.

As far as backing up games go, I can backup the saves on a stick. No biggy.

Ivangela: After reading the details on this site, it seems a blazing fast SSD isn't waranted, but a long warranty would be good. Having dinner tonite with daughter. I'll see what she will do for me. I told her I'm sick of shirts for Christmas.

Oh yes. The Seagate price is $65 and the WD Black is $95.

Edited by Cespenar

The Caviar Black is Western Digital's flagship 7,200RPM desktop offering,.. it's the fastest 7,200RPM 1TB drive on the market, but it's also a little pricey. Top of the line capacities rarely deliver the best value for dollar, and given the Black's leading performance and five-year warranty, it's hard to complain too much about the associated price premium.

The Caviar Black is Western Digital's flagship 7,200RPM desktop offering,.. it's the fastest 7,200RPM 1TB drive on the market, but it's also a little pricey.

May be the fastest on the market today, but the Samsung Spinpoint F3's were faster and more reliable. Unfortunately, Seagate bought Samsung's hard drive division back in 2011, so all the Samsung Spinpoint F3's in the market now are just Seagate Barracuda drives, but sold as Samsung Spinpoint F3's. A shame...

Seagate had a bad run a few YEARS ago. Their current drives are fine.

I've never had a problem with Seagate drives, and even have a Barracuda 2TB recertified one in RAID 1 with a non-recertified one. However, a few years back, a company I worked at that used Seagate Barracuda drives in RAID 1, 5, and 10, had a high failure rate. I guess they learned something with the $1.375 billion buyout of Samsung's hard drive division. :P

Edited by El_Capitan

Hi, Ivy,

PCCasegear in Melbourne.

A link from here took me to Blackblaze and it seems Seagate has a big rise in failure rates. I haven't experienced this yet.

An SSD would be nice for OS and things like CPU-Z etc.

I have a 320 gig HDD with the OS at the mo, and the 500GB Seagate has 49GB left. I cant do a backup in machine at the mo.

If my daughter wants to fork out for an SSD for Christmas then so be it. But the 1TB is the essential one. I'll put the games on it, and use the Seagate 500 to do restore points.

As far as backing up games go, I can backup the saves on a stick. No biggy.

Ivangela: After reading the details on this site, it seems a blazing fast SSD isn't waranted, but a long warranty would be good. Having dinner tonite with daughter. I'll see what she will do for me. I told her I'm sick of shirts for Christmas.

Oh yes. The Seagate price is $65 and the WD Black is $95.

Yeah go for the Seagate. I have the 1.5TB of that generation and it's been an awesome drive

And it does seem like the Crucial is the best deal for SSDs, so you'll be fine with that too!

The Caviar Black is Western Digital's flagship 7,200RPM desktop offering,.. it's the fastest 7,200RPM 1TB drive on the market, but it's also a little pricey. Top of the line capacities rarely deliver the best value for dollar, and given the Black's leading performance and five-year warranty, it's hard to complain too much about the associated price premium.

I'll always complain about associated price premiums but some can be allowed if they're slight ones, you're literally buying a warranty because the other competing drives get the job done just fine. The "fastest" spindle drive doesn't mean anything when you're using it for storage. My Seagates have lasted me close or more than 5 years no problem (the seagate in my old laptop I sold to my ex's sister is still going just fine!)

+1, even though that bad run bit me, I could have taken their advice and prepared for it (updated the firmware on my 7200.11)

The Caviar Black is Western Digital's flagship 7,200RPM desktop offering,.. it's the fastest 7,200RPM 1TB drive on the market, but it's also a little pricey.

May be the fastest on the market today, but the Samsung Spinpoint F3's were faster and more reliable. Unfortunately, Seagate bought Samsung's hard drive division back in 2011, so all the Samsung Spinpoint F3's in the market now are just Seagate Barracuda drives, but sold as Samsung Spinpoint F3's. A shame...

I've never had a problem with Seagate drives, and even have a Barracuda 2TB recertified one in RAID 1 with a non-recertified one. However, a few years back, a company I worked at that used Seagate Barracuda drives in RAID 1, 5, and 10, had a high failure rate. I guess they learned something with the $1.375 billion buyout of Samsung's hard drive division. :P

Yeah, so maybe Samsung did them good because I love my newer Seagate Greens and LP drives, they're fast as hell for being "only" 5900RPM drives

My important personal data backups go on WD Black or WD Enterprise drives.  In all of my years I've had one WD drive fail prematurely, and all of them lasted well beyond when I wanted or needed to change or upgrade.

My important personal data backups go on WD Black or WD Enterprise drives.  In all of my years I've had one WD drive fail prematurely, and all of them lasted well beyond when I wanted or needed to change or upgrade.

Never trust hard drives and the brand you choose won't matter. :P

I have a huge pile of dead WD drives, the WD Black do tend to be quite good for long-term use though.

True, the price of the WD Blacks are 1/3 higher than other HDDs but if it's importatn data (and what isn't?) then why not protect it to the best of your ability? Read the reviews for Seagate drives. They're littered with failures after a month or a year or two years That's not very long. Now look at the WD Black reviews.They look much better.

BUT, if you want a 2TB Seagate, Buy.com has one for $60, after a $20 rebate...I ain't gonna lie, I'm still considering it! ;

Yeah, I can't talk about the caviar line but I've had 2 maybe 3 500GB Scorpio Blues die on me. (My 750GB Scorpio blue's been fine for the 1-2years I've had it so it could have just been a bad batch) My Momentus 7200 drive in my old laptop however is still going strong and admittedly gave me a death scare when i used to own the laptop...but then miraculously started working again and hasn't had a problem since lol. Zombie drive ftw

Never trust hard drives and the brand you choose won't matter. :P

I have a huge pile of dead WD drives, the WD Black do tend to be quite good for long-term use though.

+1 I'm a backup-a-holic but even still have had very good luck with Seagate drives, less luck with WD (but again don't hold it against them, some bad batches are just bad) and had an old Hitachi PATA drive that I pulled from an old computer that I believe still works somewhere but never had the pleasure of trying their or Samsung drives.