Mrboo's Diy "gainclone" Amplifier

markiemrboo

I believe the Arcam was paired with the Croft valve pre-amp (which is part of the main system in our living room) for a short period.

It's too long ago for me to remember the differences in the sound though.

I know it does make a difference however.

My father was a bit mad on hi-fi stuff not so long ago (with detriment to other things might I add), so we have all kinds of crazy stuff in the house,

which includes all kinds of cables and accessories (I don't like to think about how much they cost).

Mosey on over to Russ Andrews and you'll get the idea.

Yeah, I seem to remember Mr Fox mentioning this to me before. Or maybe even you on the forums, I forget! It sounds pretty insane though! I was under the impression you were also a bit of a hi-fi freak because of this? :D I've been annoying Mr Fox constantly talking about audio stuff recently. Oops!!

Personally, I am not such a big believer in all the 'cables make a difference' thing, I'd never spend those insane amounts of money on cable! :blush:

The Musical Fidelity pre-amp is around 20yrs old I think, so it's held up pretty well considering.

It's as old as me! It's probably in much better condition than I am too :lol:

Oh, and the empty space in the Arcam is so a third 100w channel can be added.. there is a bit more about that Here

Ah! This would be quite useful if you wanted a sub too ( yet another thing I have been considering building :lol: my main speakers do need a tiny bit of a boost in the lower bass regions).

And if you like modularness (nice made up word :lol: ), then you could look at monoblocks. Probably a bit expensive though.

Well, what I have is *sort of* mono blocks, in that both channels and their respective power supplies are totally separate circuit boards, if you know what I mean? It's just all bundled in one big case instead of two smaller ones :lol: Separately cased would definately be even more nicely modularness though ;)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite alot of space on that left side isnt there?

I'm going to guess that the reason why that empty space is there is so the amp would be able to be stacked on top of other components. I know that my groups DJ equitment is all the same size so that we can toss it into a box, and the two amps we have are uniform in size even though they are from different manufacturers.

I'm going to guess that the reason why that empty space is there is so the amp would be able to be stacked on top of other components. I know that my groups DJ equitment is all the same size so that we can toss it into a box, and the two amps we have are uniform in size even though they are from different manufacturers.
See below :P

although your probably right, that may be a reason to to keep it "in spec"...

Oh, and the empty space in the Arcam is so a third 100w channel can be added.. there is a bit more about that Here
Edited by Andrewr05

@ markie: lets see some pics of those speakers! who care 'bout what they look like, as long as they work, you have the modders feeling of satisfaction :)

I was only thinking of building speakers, *if* that happens it'll be after the preamp is done :P

My current speakers are some old Celestion 7's, free from my Auntie (well, Dad gave her his old Mordaunt Short MS55Ti's and I got these).

post-11183-1166907798_thumb.jpg

Desk it way too crowded for my liking. Waiting for the parents to put up some speaker stands. I said I would do it, but they don't want me drilling holes in the wall :blush: I don't blame them either really....