Posing the question; Do we still need optical drives?

VaporX

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do we still need optical drives

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (explain)

So my question is do we still need optical drives? With the advent of various digital distribution forms and the fact that Windows can be easily installed from a USB key as can drivers for anything out there the question is are optical drives really needed any longer.

Let the debate begin.

popcorn.gif

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt we will see them vanish for a few more years, I have to many cds and dvds to go with out one my self. My growing blue ray collection is played by my computer even tho i have a ps3(playback is better from pc)

Personally I don't have an optical drive in either of my rigs. I've got one in an external box that I use for the occasional driver disk for new products, especially review items. Plus, I've still got an CD player in my car which I still love to use -- so I'll make a CD once and awhile. However, my CD player does support thumb drive input, so eventually I don't see one being much more than a paper weight in my office. :P

Too cheap to buy a new SATA dvd drive. So don't own/use one atm.

Mostly create an ISO and stick it on an USB drive. If I don't have access to an ISO I just rip the disc on another computer than transfer it to the USB.

Edited by AZNguyen

Why isn't this a poll?<br><br>I still use my ODD quite a bit, for music, for burning, for movies, for games, etc.

Did not think of a poll was interested in discussion more than numbers.

Edited by ComputerEd