Thinking of Upgrading

Vertex 4 / Vector and I think Intel 500s. The 300s use Sandforce.  Also Samsung Pros I think are not Sandforce.

Nvm Intel is Sandforce all the way.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that should work, it's a shame you didn't have a VelociRaptor instead of just a regular raptor drive. I took my Veloci out of it's 2.5" bracket/cooler and threw my SanDisk in :D (and my Vertex 2 before that)

Well if you are not playing games and going with AMD I would just get the cheapet asus board you can find. It will have to be 970/990 chipset since those are the ones that support these AM3 FX chips.

Yeah that should work, it's a shame you didn't have a VelociRaptor instead of just a regular raptor drive. I took my Veloci out of it's 2.5" bracket/cooler and threw my SanDisk in :D (and my Vertex 2 before that)

Thanks.  I got it bookmarked with the processors so I remember to order one.

Well if you are not playing games and going with AMD I would just get the cheapet asus board you can find. It will have to be 970/990 chipset since those are the ones that support these AM3 FX chips.

No games.  My most intensive use will be video editing, and my current system handles it just fine, but the newer HD video files are more difficult to work with, and the current version of the software doesn

1) 970 only supports 16 lines so no Sli or crossfire and the 990x supports 16 lanes but 8x / 8x for Sli / crossfire and the 990fx has 32 lanes for 16x/16x or 8x/8x/8x/8x .

2) are you talking about the connectors at the bottom of every motherboard ? if so yeah your reset button will work .

I had to Google Sli and Crossfire and now remember from my last build that these were two things I would not use, so having a board that supported Sli and Crossfire was no benefit to me.  They would just be items that would not get used.

I have it narrowed down to the two boards below.  The differences I see between the two boards is the location of the SATA connections and that board #1 has no external SATA connections.

Board #2 has two more USB 2.0 ports.  Both have two 3.0 ports.

Board #2 is

ASUS has been pretty good to me...but my Gigabyte before this just felt perfect, both are quality brands but there was just something about that Gigabyte that will always give it a special place in my heart :wub:

I say go for the gigatty gig, cheaper and awesome! (more evil looking too!!)

both brands are good. I was a big gigabyte fan and still am, It just seems both are price so close I end up going with what I have become use to BIOS wise.