CM Hyper 212+ vs Evercool Silent Shark

j2t

Ok, might be a no brainer but I'm having a hard time following the dots to see what is a better performer.  I currently have the Hyper 212+ installed on my Phenom II 720 x3 and its been pretty solid, can't complain.  Now some of you have seen that due to the awesomeness of this site and AMD, I am getting an FX 8350 to replace the 720. 

I have a Silent Shark sitting here in a box that I have never used, is it a better HSF to use and from what I have read from reviews it isn't all that 'silent' but I wonder just what that means.  I pretty much can't hear the 212+ inside the AZZA tower I have so I would like it to remain as quiet as possible.  Anyone have experience with the Silent Shark?  Sucker is a pretty big beast and I'm feeling kind of lazy so would prefer to not be swapping coolers in and out if possible lol

Thanks!

Ok, thats kind of what I was thinking and what I thought I was seeing.  I'll stick with the 212+ as its been a pretty damn solid cooler for me.  Thanks guys!

Since you are changing processor, you are doing as much effort whether you use your CM 212+ or the Silent shark.

The Silent Shark is a dual tower unit, it's dissipating area is greater than the CM 212+. I have no experience with overclocking on AMD tho, but I have read that the consumed power for an OCed 8350 is very high. This cooler just might do the job.

A couple points before thinking of unboxing the shark :

Do you have a large case? Are you confident on putting a 1.2 kg metal mass over a usually fragile motherboard? I saw reviews were some prople damaged their motherboard with a NH-D14 cooler because of the strain.

Are your RAM heatsinks are pretty high (spikes looking heatsinks on RAM modules) ? A dual-tower style will block at least the first RAM module, or if you have tall ram, no fit : Example here

The last point that I would suggest you is if you have a couple of spare fans (that 212+ fan could be a good contender) switch it with one of the two or both fans. They are noisy (at high speed), probably caused by two fans with different airflow.

If you are not planning to resell it, or got some time to kill, I would suggest you at least to test how can the Shark can cool an OCed 8350.

Since you are changing processor, you are doing as much effort whether you use your CM 212+ or the Silent shark.

The Silent Shark is a dual tower unit, it's dissipating area is greater than the CM 212+. I have no experience with overclocking on AMD tho, but I have read that the consumed power for an OCed 8350 is very high. This cooler just might do the job.

A couple points before thinking of unboxing the shark :

Do you have a large case? Are you confident on putting a 1.2 kg metal mass over a usually fragile motherboard? I saw reviews were some prople damaged their motherboard with a NH-D14 cooler because of the strain.

Are your RAM heatsinks are pretty high (spikes looking heatsinks on RAM modules) ? A dual-tower style will block at least the first RAM module, or if you have tall ram, no fit : Example here

The last point that I would suggest you is if you have a couple of spare fans (that 212+ fan could be a good contender) switch it with one of the two or both fans. They are noisy (at high speed), probably caused by two fans with different airflow.

If you are not planning to resell it, or got some time to kill, I would suggest you at least to test how can the Shark can cool an OCed 8350.

Funny you mention that, I was installing the CPU last night and had kind of forgotten about the memory, which happens to be the HyperX just like in that linked review.  I have an AZZA Fusion 3000 so plenty of room to fit the CPU case wise, but I think losing the first RAM slot would be an issue since that is the slot I think is recommended to use.  No real plans on overclocking since the PC is the family PC so not really a good idea to start toying with it when my wife and kids use it for homework and such.  :)

Yea, if you are looking for a 100% reliable machine, I would suggest to avoid overclocking. Sure it is always possible and I must say I don't know how familiar you are with BIOS settings.

The CM 212+ is up to cool your 8350 at stock I am sure. If you are having high temps, I would suggest two things, reseating BOTH the CPU and the cooler. Doing correct application of thermal paste as well. You should only be concerned with temps if you live in a hot area, the computer is located in a confined space (desk with door) or again you have two videocards.

I have seen a i7 980x (6 cores) at stock speed that could be held in safe temperatures with a 212+, I doubt that a 8350 outputs more heat than that actually.

I have overclocked in the past (overclocked and unlocked the 720BE this is replacing) so I'm not unfamiliar with the BIOS but as of now I'm not seeing the need, its a really nice bump as it is :D

Granted I haven't pushed it much yet, but I don't think I have seen temps over like 50C yet so I think the 212+ is doing a good job so far.