About to buy a gun

Onion

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm really considering S&W Revolvers now because they take 357 and 38 special. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can shoot 38 special in a gun rated for 38 special +p all day with no issue, right? Its just that they're higher pressure rounds? Would there be any issue shooting cheap 38 special non +p rounds at the range for fun, and then carrying 357 in it during the day? I'll still blow through some 357 at the range to get used to it of course, but I want to mostly use 38 special because its cheap. 

The S&W revolvers are too pricey for me, I'm trying to stay below $500. What would you guys recommend that takes 357 and 38 special? Can there be any damage done to the gun from shooting too much 38 special if the specs only say its a 357? I'm asking because the S&W ones list them as 38 special +p and 357, whereas pretty much every other manufacturer just says 357. The 38 is just a shorter 357, but that doesn't matter when shooting it in a 357 gun, does it?

Look into a Tarsus Model 66, it's identical to the S&W.

Yes you can shot .38, .38+P in a ..358 with no issues.

As for fancy sights.  They serve no purpose in a self defense weapon. In a true self defense situation, you ain't going to be using your sights

I bought the Berrata Nano 9mm for the wife. It is slim and very easy to shoot accurately. Her first 8 shots at 15 yards with it were in the red ring on a #9 target. She uses 135 grain Hornady Critical Defense rounds since it likes heavier rounds. Its another option for you.

My carry is a Glock 30 or M&P 45. Bigger holes leak more! 

You don't want to shoot ammo in a revolver that isn't rated for it. Shooting +P rounds in a non +P revolver would cause the frame to be stretched (over time) and can cause a lot of issues.

Yeah, I know that, since the +P is much higher power. Is it safe to assume any recent 357 can handle +P rounds? Specifically, a Ruger LCR? 

You don't want to shoot ammo in a revolver that isn't rated for it. Shooting +P rounds in a non +P revolver would cause the frame to be stretched (over time) and can cause a lot of issues.

Shield is the best choice in that class!

Even compared to the Ruger LCR? 357 seems more effective in self defense. I like the LCR because its more compact, too. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can shoot 38 special in a gun rated for 38 special +p all day with no issue, right? Its just that they're higher pressure rounds? Would there be any issue shooting cheap 38 special non +p rounds at the range for fun, and then carrying 357 in it during the day? I'll still blow through some 357 at the range to get used to it of course, but I want to mostly use 38 special because its cheap. 

The S&W revolvers are too pricey for me, I'm trying to stay below $500. What would you guys recommend that takes 357 and 38 special? Can there be any damage done to the gun from shooting too much 38 special if the specs only say its a 357? I'm asking because the S&W ones list them as 38 special +p and 357, whereas pretty much every other manufacturer just says 357. The 38 is just a shorter 357, but that doesn't matter when shooting it in a 357 gun, does it?

As for fancy sights.  They serve no purpose in a self defense weapon. In a true self defense situation, you ain't going to be using your sights

I forget who it is on here that carries a Taurus (bishop I believe), he's said good things about it. The problem with that Taurus Model 66 is that its a pretty big gun. This is going to be on my hip between my skin and pants, so I don't want a huge bulge and I don't want a long barrel poking me in the leg when I bend over or squat down at work.

Very true for the sights, I'm considering it for the range more than for self defense. 

I bought the Berrata Nano 9mm for the wife. It is slim and very easy to shoot accurately. Her first 8 shots at 15 yards with it were in the red ring on a #9 target. She uses 135 grain Hornady Critical Defense rounds since it likes heavier rounds. Its another option for you.

I'll take a look at them and report back. 

Edited by Onion

yep, thats kinda how i see it too...i may not have the time to aim if i'm in a real jamm...

...yes sir frank, true that,...bigger holes do leak more, but more holes leak more too,..i like having 13 in the grip and 1 in the chamber...they just keep banging

I like the revolver over the semi-autos because there's a lower chance of failure, which is a big deal to me since it'll be carried every day. 

Big holes do leak more than lots of holes, but I think that 5 357 mag shots would be way more than I'd ever need honestly. Just the sheer noise of a 357 is enough to scare most people away.