My FX 8150 Overclock

scr4wl

Taco what's your opinion on the 8150? I'm sure you've had a large selection of CPUs to play with...

Sorry for any mispelled words, this post is from my phone.

Short answer: It's my favorite chip that I've owned so far, but you'd be better off with a Phenom II or a sandybridge chip.

Long answer:

This was actually the second time I bought an FX 8150, the first time I ordered it the day it was released. However, I eventually got an email saying that there wasn't enough stock and my money was refunded.

This time around I bought it instead of picking up a 2011 rig. (Something I still intend to eventually do)

I first put together the FX 8150 with MSI 890FXA-GD70. I booted up into windows, and was instantly disappointed. In some ways it seemed like I just installed windows 7 on an old SKT. 478 machine. Everything was laggy and slow, the whole experience just seemed sluggish.

I then installed all the windows updates, the hotfixes, and disabled all of the power saving features. This improved things by A LOT! I then overclocked it up to 4.7GHz.

At 4.7GHz the 8150 still performs worse than my 2600k (at stock settings, with turbo enabled) there's no denying it. In fact, you can look at the scores I got at 5.9GHz, its almost embarrassing how little performance the chip offers.

Poor performance aside, I'm extremely tempted to make this my main rig. For some reason, and I don't know why, everything just seems to run so much smoother on the overclocked 8150 then on my overclocked 2600k. (Maybe I'm just crazy)

I also really like that these chips aren't as held back in overclocking as the sandybridge chips are. For example, with almost all sandybridge chips you won't be able to get a higher overclock with extreme cooling, than you would with a water loop. There are a few cases where the chips can hit multis above 55 that need extreme cooling, but for the most case the chips stay below a multi of 53. Plus, it was just more fun overclocking the 8150, both on air and on dice, then overclocking the 2500k, 2600k, and 2700k. (All three of which did almost the same thing)

I also prefer the AM3+ boards over the 1155 boards. (Although you could use something better like a 1090t instead of an 8150)

I've used quite a few 1155 boards, and while they do have a ton of great features, they just don't seem as good as the similarly priced AM3+ boards I've used.

Would I reccomend using an 8150 in a system build, probably not. You can get better performing chips for less money, so it would be wrong of me to do so.

However, I would reccomend it if you want something to overclock, or even if you are contemplating playing around with one.

I was very pleasantly surprised with the 8150, and it has become my favorite chip. Now only if it performed better, or cost significantly less. :P

Put my 8150 under DICE for the HWBot competition.

Anyway, I got it up to 5.9GHz

EDIT:

Looks like I can get it to boot into windows at 6GHz:

Taco, Thats awesome. What kind of voltage. I got 5.9Ghz will all cores 6.1GHz on 1 core.

sapphire_990fx_5900.jpg

sapphire_990fx_6100.jpg

Edited by Drdeath

Taco, Thats awesome. What kind of voltage.

I could boot into Windows at 1.72v for both 5.9 and 6GHz, but to run WPrime with 8 threads I needed to up the voltage to 1.76. 0.0

Could you get it benchmark stable with the 1 core enabled or just able to take the screenshot? Also what kind of cooling were you using? I was hoping that disabling cores would give a higher increase than that.

I could boot into Windows at 1.72v for both 5.9 and 6GHz, but to run WPrime with 8 threads I needed to up the voltage to 1.76. 0.0

Could you get it benchmark stable with the 1 core enabled or just able to take the screenshot? Also what kind of cooling were you using? I was hoping that disabling cores would give a higher increase than that.

Screenie

Screenie

Of what?

The benchmark screenshots are in my OP.

If you meant of the 1.72 boot:

bd4.png

I didn't snap one at 6GHz, but I'll be doing it again this weekend, so if you really want to see I'll take another. :P

Of what?

The benchmark screenshots are in my OP.

If you meant of the 1.72 boot:

bd4.png

I didn't snap one at 6GHz, but I'll be doing it again this weekend, so if you really want to see I'll take another. :P

Don't be afraid to push 1.8V or a litle higher. The CPU can handle it andd they used about 1.9V at AMD tech day on the 8GHz liquid helium run.