video card installation question

Laststop

If your cpu cooler is so large that the top pci-e slot is not available will a single gpu setup still run ok in a lower pci-e slot? Like if you have a z97 board since those cpus only have 16 lanes are the boards wired in such a way that only the top pci-e slot can ever be 16x speed or is the mobo able to tell that its unoccupied and let the lower pci-e slot run at 16x. And what about for x99? Can you run a single gpu setup from a lower pci-e slot on x99 boards? I would think so since the cpu has 40 lanes even the lower pci-e slot can handle 16x even in sli. I'm just not sure if boards require the gpu be in the top most slot.

Edited by Laststop

Depending on the board, it can have one or two PCIe x16 slots that will run at x16 speed or x8/x8 depending on population. Typically that would be the top two PCIe x16 slots for that x8/x8 arrangement, so if that top slot is covered up by the CPU cooler then just move it down to the next available slot. Any other PCIe x16 slots will run at something like x2, which wouldn't be recommended for a video card.

You can also look at the slot and see the pin layout. THan you can atlest see it if elrectically 16x.

Every board is differnot so it could be the 3Rd slot is 16x. What brand and model is it ?

Thanks for the answers. It's just general knowledge I would like to have. I'm kinda a local guru of pc's people come to me with pc issues and to build a pc for them. Little side business of mine. I charge a flat fee of 200 dollars to build whatever PC someone wants and optimize it to its maximum and diagnose any problems if they ever have any. Most people realize they get a superior product for a much better price even when paying me 200 to build it than ordering from dell or HP. If they want me to put in custom water loops and such i charge more. It's not even work to me, I love building pc's. You would be surprised how many people will pay you just to reformat and reinstall windows and drivers. Anyways the latest build im workin on is this:

Case: NZXT H440 White/Black

PSU: Seasonic Platinum 760

Mobo: Asus x99 Pro

CPU: core i7-5820k

Ram: 4x8GB 2666Mhz Gskill Ripjaws 4 DDR4

GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 970

Main storage drive: Samsung 850 pro 256GB x2 in RAID 0 512GB total

Secondary Storage: HGST Deskstar NAS 6TB 7200RPM

CPU Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15

Case fans: 3x Noctua NF-12 Front intakes / 1x Noctua NF-A15 Rear Exhaust + 1x Noctua NF-A15 top Rear exhaust

The guy was going to buy an alienware and I showed him how much better quality components you can get and better performance you can get for less money if you have me build it instead. Once he gets all the parts in I start building it. The reason I asked this question is a saw someone say the nh-d15 blocked access to the top pci-e on their asus rampage V x99 EATX board.

so the 2nd slot will run at x16 if the first is unused?

Not so sure on Z97 that it will. It should be 8x max in the second slot. X99 should not be a problem. 

Aha, so X99 for the full coverage. Makes sense, it being the big board and all.

Aha, so X99 for the full coverage. Makes sense, it being the big board and all.

It's the number of PCIe lanes from the CPU that matter.

The i7 5820K that Laststop listed only has 28 lanes for PCIe 3.0, so wouldn't the second PCIe 3.0 slot by at x8? Either way, with the 3.0 standard, not a huge drop off in performance.