Made some risks in the CPU yellow dots

Techfan

I put Artic Silver 5 on a Core i7-720QM mobile CPU but some paste went to the red circle see attachment when I clean it I used a cloth that had metal particles that made some risks is there a problem now will it affect some of the dots conductivity or something? Bit worried now :rtfm:

Thanks in advance

CPU.bmp

Edited by Techfan

Isn't the Artic Silver 5 the one who also include metal in the composition of the compound? I've heard you need to be carefull if you use AS5 because is not like Silicone thermal compound, is made with Silver.

Edited by Fragsman

yes As5 is conductive. Had my neighbor try to rebuild his system and he landed a scorched system. So use caution. For open faced chips its best to use a none conductive. Like arctic ceramique or Noctua NTH1.

Just be careful and all will be well.

Those yellow dots are not really yellow dots. They are wave solder connections from when the board was made.

They connect together all of the board layers.

If you make sure that ALL of the Artic Silver is off the board, then you should be O/K

As other repliers have stated, rubbing alcohol with a sloft cloth will clean it off.

Good luck.

yes As5 is conductive. Had my neighbor try to rebuild his system and he landed a scorched system. So use caution. For open faced chips its best to use a none conductive. Like arctic ceramique or Noctua NTH1.

Just be careful and all will be well.

I've been using AS5 since the Athlon XP days and have never had any issues with it. I wish OCZ still made their thermal paste, that was some good stuff.

"They are wave solder connections from when the board was made.

They connect together all of the board layers." :no: So what just it do is that? The yellow points are not connect to the transistors?

The picture I reviewed only showed the solder points. Maybe your view was better.

Sometimes solder points are covered up by the silk screening process

Hard to tell from  the pic provided