Overcloking I5 760 still worth it?

Frosty85

Hi guys,

I have an I5 760 still going strong.

Should i buy a new cpu and mobo?

760's go all the way up too 4ghz but i have never oc'd myself.

I have a m8 with experience who could help me or should i invest in other hardware?

Many thanks in advance,

Peter

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 4GHz i5 - 760 would do you great in games.

I can speak from experience since I have owned that chip for a long time and ran it at 4GHz as well.

In some games you can see gains up to 80%, if the game is CPU bound (Watchdogs, any mmorpg), and the performance difference between the old 760 vs new 4670 isn't THAT big.

It does make a difference core vs core, but it is not as drastic as, let's say, AMD chip vs Intel chip (not even close)

Thx, i have a Asus P7H55-V iH55, SATA300, GLAN BTW.

Cooler, I need to buy it but it is an investment.

Once you have it you can use it indefinitely as long as you maintain/replace the fans.

Thanks again for the replies!

I have a Gigabyte UD3 1156 mobo for my i5 750 and I can get 3.8ghz plus out of it pretty easy and it is a pretty basic board like yours.

760's tend to be able to hit higher speeds than 750's so 3.8 to 4ghz isn't an unreasonable goal. Even at 3.8 my 750 is still no slouch.

A Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo should suffice, that is what I run on mine.

You should be able to get 3.8 or more if you happen to have a chip that is less voltage hungry than mine. My chip isn't the best overclocker I have seen but I haven't put a lot of effort into really getting everything out of it. 

Edited by GabrielTessin

The performance difference between the old 760 vs new 4670 isn't THAT big.

It does make a difference core vs core, but it is not as drastic as, let's say, AMD chip vs Intel chip (not even close)

So twice as many operations per clock cycle doesn't count as a big difference? :P

I don't think you can get 4GHz on that board tbh, 3.7/3.8 *should* be possible though.

Don't be a downer, my lowly Gigabyte UD3 is pretty bare bones and it will do 4ghz. 3.99ghz if I am honest. :D

And I am going it with an i5 750 and a $25 dollar CPU cooler. 

I am not a downer, i literally had that board paired with a 760 in the past (2011-ish) and it would not do anything above 3.8GHz.

The performance difference between the old 760 vs new 4670 isn't THAT big.

So twice as many operations per clock cycle doesn't count as a big difference?  :P

Twice? Oh god no, lol, you are over estimating the newer Intel chips. They are faster per clock cycle, but nowhere close to twice.

Not only that, but the gaming performance gains are pretty much non-existent.

People are selling their d14's in favor of closed water loops.

I bought a d14 for half the retail price.

So I will overclock my i5 760.

I also need more memory.

Should I buy 4gb more of the same memory for 50 Euros?

Or should I install a new 16gb kit with higher clocks that I can use in my new build 2 years later?