Friend wants to know if he should move to Win 8

DrDigitized2

Hi, My friend asked me if he should move to Win 8. He likes to play games as well as do a few other things on it. He wants to know if it is a good move and knowing you guys/gals will sure have your own strong opinions on it and will give a good debate I decided to ask you. 

Now

Fight!

wait till windows 9 or whatever the next windows is going to be called,

microsoft has a thing for releasing a good os and then a crappy os after it (98-good, 2000-bad, xp-good, vista-meh, 7-good, 8-baaaaad)

Edited by WarWeeny

As Dan mentioned; Windows Blue (now known as Windows 8.1) may be returning the start menu and boot to desktop, at least they are trying to work with those of us that don't like the OS.

Yeah seems slightly more likely everyday, I'd get Windows 8.1 if it has the start menu... or probably dual boot with Windows 7.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-s-Comments-Signal-the-Return-of-the-Start-Button-346690.shtml

Hi, My friend asked me if he should move to Win 8. He likes to play games as well as do a few other things on it. He wants to know if it is a good move and knowing you guys/gals will sure have your own strong opinions on it and will give a good debate I decided to ask you. 

Okay first note the bolded area in the quote. This is a key area to any discussion and needs a bit more clarification., If he is using Windows 7 then NO. With the current pricing on Windows 8 there is no compelling reason to make the move. Now if he was getting it for $20 or something I might change that answer.

If he is using Vista then things get a bit more hazy. Vista gets a bum wrap as an OS that it did not deserve. It is a solid OS but Windows 7 and 8 can be a decent upgrade if he is unhappy. If he has Windows XP then things begin to clear up more as an upgrade is due.

If he is not running Windows 7 and plans to upgrade then yes I would say go with 8. The cost is basically the same and if he does not like the Metro interface he has low cost and no cost options.

CE - you made great points as they relate to what version of Windows his friend is currently running.  That was one of the first things that crossed my mind, so I'm glad I read through the whole thread and see that you already addressed some very valid points.

Wait for 8.1 to come out if they're running above Vista, if they're running Vista or lower then I'd say upgrading to Windows 7 or 8 would be beneficial.

Also depending on their hardware as well.