Looking for a car, but I don't know where to start

Miek

Overall, I want to get the most I can for my money. Where I'm living right now, I'm pretty much limited to Ford, Dodge, GM, Nissan, Toyota, Hyundai, and Honda.

I'm willing to go as high as $30,000 CAD (financing, preferably over a 4 year term or less).

Any suggestions?

Edited by Miek

CAD? Canadian dollars?

How do Canadian prices compare to us? While Waco says plenty of choices and that is the case is USA it might not be the same for you.

Eg: a car in Australia on average at all points in it's life is at least double the us price. That holds even on our exports. That's right we can export a $60k AUD car to be sold for $30k USD.

I only really have a general idea of what I'm looking for. I think I'd like to get into a mid-sized sedan or larger compact. I'd like something with respectable fuel economy but also something with some punch under the gas pedal. A decent stereo would be nice, too. A good safety rating is always a plus. And, right now, I think the US dollar and Canadian Dollar are pretty close to even. A quick search tells me that 1 Canadian dollar = 1.0017 U.S. dollars.

Australian and us convert 1 to 1 too. However what kind of import duties etc.

You don't need to worry about stereo (provided your definition of decent isn't mine or Waco's lol) they have come a long way in cars.

Mid size sedan you would be looking at gm luminar? (am I right Waco?) The new models come packed full of features and punch as well as fuel economy if you grab a v6. The falcon (if that's what you call it...) from ford is near on identical in all ways becomes really a brand preference in the end, for me it's gm.

Toyota will offer great reliability even though I never liked their looks bar hilux, soara and celica. Again features of their entry/mid range are identical almost to the ford and gm cars. You will find everything is pretty much electric and automated in all of them, give them all a drive.

Nissan I would look to for smaller sports cars and not really a sedan, sedan for me comes in gm, ford or toyota flavours. Closest I go to compacts is sports cars...

Honda and Hyundai never been a fan (s2000 excluded) although they have some alright compacts (cough chicks cars cough lol)

Dodge not a damn idea bar classics and a rare few in aus. I assume they would be similar in offering to gm and ford.

Seeing as how you're 19 yrs old, I'd say go for something much less expensive. You'll have plenty of time to go into debt later in life.

But really, I'm with bishop, go test drive anything you feel you might want. Make sure you like how it drives. Also, make sure it has a couple cupholders that are usable. My first truck had one in the glove box. Who puts a cup holder in the glove box?

You could definitely narrow it down a lot. Sedans only? Or would you consider a coupe? FWD, RWD, or AWD? What do you consider to be acceptable in terms of fuel economy? What kind of engine you hoping for; turbocharged in-line 4 cylinder, V6, V8? What accessories do you want? built in blue-tooth, GPS, rear-view camera, leather interior, heated seats?

I'd buy used for sure, it's so much cheaper. I'm buying my first car as well (tomorrow I think). 2000 Mustang GT in flawless condition with 73k miles (they can do over 200k easy) for 6,000 dollars. Really nice car, and really fast. Just have a look on craigslist, you'll find a good deal.

Mid size sedan you would be looking at gm lumina? (am I right Waco?)

That's a non-US car at this point actually - it's essentially a Holden with different body panels. The Lumina hasn't been sold in the US for quite a while now. I don't know why, I think it actually looks pretty decent.

As for used versus new - get a certified pre-owned car from a dealer if you want something you don't have to worry about. Most dealers will offer a 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty on certified used cars. The easiest thing to do is just drive over to the dealers and look around. Test drive whatever you're interested in (and maybe some you aren't too crazy about just to remind yourself what you really want). :cheers: