Weapon Time

gebraset

^^ Yup.

All firearms dealers have an FFL, but not all FFL holders have a store. There are "kitchen table" FFL's who just do stuff out of the house.

My FFL guy literally works out of an Ice Cream shop which he owns and he dose the FFL stuff on the side... Technically I think the FFL needs a store front of some kind, I could of sworn it was part of the licensing requirements.

To the OP, for rifles you only need to be 18 to purchase them. Handguns are 21... (Federal) Nevermind miss read your first post lol...

Edited by greengiant912

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can't just recommend a gun to someone at random..

What's your height, build, eyesight? Are you familiar with shooting already? Sorry for being the negative captain obvious, but some people can't handle some guns.. And if you're looking to own one, start with something you can master, gain muscle memory and skill with it, and then look into something a little bigger. Unless you're under rigorous training, it's very hard to master heavier weapons when you don't have the general aptitude for firing a gun to begin with.

Sounds good Phil, I'll look at it but it is even cheaper than Marlin I saw the other day, so I don't know if I'm going to take too many looks at it to be honest. And OwinC, that sounds great, I'm just glad here in Texas it is so lax for weapons, lol.

Don't let the low price on the Savage put you off, they are well regarded .22's. I'd stay away from new Marlins however, a couple of years ago they were bought out and moved out of CT. I bought a new .22 mag just before they moved and it's great, but I wouldn't buy one now. Everybody's complaining about issues with them since the changeover.

What's your height, build, eyesight? Are you familiar with shooting already? Sorry for being the negative captain obvious, but some people can't handle some guns.. And if you're looking to own one, start with something you can master, gain muscle memory and skill with it, and then look into something a little bigger. Unless you're under rigorous training, it's very hard to master heavier weapons when you don't have the general aptitude for firing a gun to begin with.

He's looking at a .22. I'd say he's already looking at the most common round in the world that he can start with.

I'll be able to handle a .22. But just for lolz, I'm 6'4'', athletic and wear corrective glasses. Also, in case you did not see: "Location:Fort Bliss, TX " "Active Army Military Service Member" I'll be ok handling a weapon, rofl. :glare:

Anyhow, time for a rant session after going around shopping.

First comes the PX, or Personal Exchange on post. I go there and they have the Carbine model which is what I was, for $225, and obviously the PX charges no tax on their sales. However, they tell me on the spot before handing me the rifle that I have to be 21 before purchasing. I obviously brought up that Texas law is 18 years old for a rifle, and even Federal law states the same thing. They then tell me that the post command for Fort Bliss put it at 21, though I'm pretty sure that is violating my right to purchase a rifle as a 20 year old? A military installation can go against Federal law? Anyhow, I then asked, since my wife is going to be 21 in a few months if she could buy it for me and gift it to me for a special occasion, which is legal in Texas and not considered a straw purchase if given as a gift and payment is not repaid back. The man at the PX stated that it would be frowned upon and not allowed, which again, I'm pretty sure is illegal to deny my wife the right to do such a thing.

Then I go to Walmart and find the same rifle for $25 bucks more (The price listed in my other post). I try to buy it, and get told the guy that can sell rifles does not come in till 5PM, which is crazy since it was noon when I was told this and also called before going there. So, I then ask what the process will be for purchasing, and he stated that since I don't have a Texas ID, I need to bring in my ID, PCS orders, and a 30-60-90, 30 days prior bill for a utility, 60 days prior for a utility, and 90 days prior for a utility. Not ever hearing of this, I ask to speak to a manager who ventures over in just under 30 minutes. He states that I MUST have a Texas ID to purchase, which we then argued about since in all reality with Texas law, YOU DO NOT. He then stated that all I need is ID and PCS orders, which I had on hand, though the worker that can sell guns won't be there till 5PM.

So, back at my home now, waiting till later to see if this purchase can even work. I cannot believe the runaround by business down here when I am of legal age and have the documents on hand with money to purchase the rifle. So idiotic. :ouch:

Edited by gebraset

I'll be able to handle a .22. But just for lolz, I'm 6'4'', athletic and wear corrective glasses. Also, in case you did not see: "Location:Fort Bliss, TX " "Active Army Military Service Member" I'll be ok handling a weapon, rofl. :glare:

Anyhow, time for a rant session after going around shopping.

First comes the PX, or Personal Exchange on post. I go there and they have the Carbine model which is what I was, for $225, and obviously the PX charges no tax on their sales. However, they tell me on the spot before handing me the rifle that I have to be 21 before purchasing. I obviously brought up that Texas law is 18 years old for a rifle, and even Federal law states the same thing. They then tell me that the post command for Fort Bliss put it at 21, though I'm pretty sure that is violating my right to purchase a rifle as a 20 year old? A military installation can go against Federal law? Anyhow, I then asked, since my wife is going to be 21 in a few months if she could buy it for me and gift it to me for a special occasion, which is legal in Texas and not considered a straw purchase if given as a gift and payment is not repaid back. The man at the PX stated that it would be frowned upon and not allowed, which again, I'm pretty sure is illegal to deny my wife the right to do such a thing.

Then I go to Walmart and find the same rifle for $25 bucks more (The price listed in my other post). I try to buy it, and get told the guy that can sell rifles does not come in till 5PM, which is crazy since it was noon when I was told this and also called before going there. So, I then ask what the process will be for purchasing, and he stated that since I don't have a Texas ID, I need to bring in my ID, PCS orders, and a 30-60-90, 30 days prior bill for a utility, 60 days prior for a utility, and 90 days prior for a utility. Not ever hearing of this, I ask to speak to a manager who ventures over in just under 30 minutes. He states that I MUST have a Texas ID to purchase, which we then argued about since in all reality with Texas law, YOU DO NOT. He then stated that all I need is ID and PCS orders, which I had on hand, though the worker that can sell guns won't be there till 5PM.

So, back at my home now, waiting till later to see if this purchase can even work. I cannot believe the runaround by business down here when I am of legal age and have the documents on hand with money to purchase the rifle. So idiotic. :ouch:

Just shows you how ignorant people are when it comes to guns. Personally i'd take my business and money to someone that actually wants it. I ordered my last gun from Buds and even though it was slower to ship then I would have liked it was still a good price and they won't give you some bull crap excuses about ID or utility bills. I'd take a look at their site and they will even have a list of FFL dealers that they have sold to in your area and have their FFL license on file already. And get used to the retardedness from your base. You're old enough to die for your country but they don't think you're responsible enough to exercise your constitutional rights. Here in Missouri I can keep a loaded handgun concealed in my truck and it's completely legal. But try to take it on base and the big wig commanders think i'll hurt myself or others. Or they don't want to be politically incorrect and offend someone. If my BX tried to do that bull crap i'd not spend a dime there. It's just about cheaper to buy anything they have at Walmart or online anyways.

Just shows you how ignorant people are when it comes to guns. Personally i'd take my business and money to someone that actually wants it. I ordered my last gun from Buds and even though it was slower to ship then I would have liked it was still a good price and they won't give you some bull crap excuses about ID or utility bills. I'd take a look at their site and they will even have a list of FFL dealers that they have sold to in your area and have their FFL license on file already. And get used to the retardedness from your base. You're old enough to die for your country but they don't think you're responsible enough to exercise your constitutional rights. Here in Missouri I can keep a loaded handgun concealed in my truck and it's completely legal. But try to take it on base and the big wig commanders think i'll hurt myself or others. Or they don't want to be politically incorrect and offend someone. If my BX tried to do that bull crap i'd not spend a dime there. It's just about cheaper to buy anything they have at Walmart or online anyways.

Believe me, it is just stupid. I called more and all they could say was that it was an AAFES policy. Soooooo, AAFES is now allowed to violate a right of a citizen? I just can't comprehend. I know the military will do what they want, but come on.

Thanks for the site, I'm going to take a look there even though it's loading pretty slow. I guess they said on the site they have a high server demand lately. Either way, thanks! Any other good gun stores to buy from online? Of course there are tons, but any reputable ones you or others have dealt with that have been a good experience?

-Edit-

Pretty sure this is the exact rifle I was looking at, the Carbine model.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/79/products_id/70626/Rifles/Ruger/Ruger+Rimfire+Autoloading/Ruger%201022%20Full%20Contour%20Synthetic%20Stock%2022LR,%20Blued,%20Black%20Synth/

I'll gladly pay that price and the price of a FFL transfer to get it, and it looks like even if I pay with a CC, it'll be like $217.

Edited by gebraset

Ended up going cheaper than the 10/22, read reviews and decided on the Savage 64F. Here's what I bought total.

1 x Tasco Rimfire Scope w/Rings/30-30 TV Reticle & Gloss Finish (RF37X20D) = $16.69

1 x Savage 64 64F Semi-Auto .22 LR Synthetic 22 (40001) = $144.00

1 x Federal 22 Long Rifle 36 Grain Copper Plated Hollow Point (745) = $18.99

Came out to just under $200 after insurance on the shipment, and the FFL dealer wants $15 for transfer. Not too bad really, now time to find a range to go to around here after I get it!

Edited by gebraset

Ended up going cheaper than the 10/22, read reviews and decided on the Savage 64F. Here's what I bought total.

1 x Tasco Rimfire Scope w/Rings/30-30 TV Reticle & Gloss Finish (RF37X20D) = $16.69

1 x Savage 64 64F Semi-Auto .22 LR Synthetic 22 (40001) = $144.00

1 x Federal 22 Long Rifle 36 Grain Copper Plated Hollow Point (745) = $18.99

Came out to just under $200 after insurance on the shipment, and the FFL dealer wants $15 for transfer. Not too bad really, now time to find a range to go to around here after I get it!

Cross your fingers, but I think you done good. ;) $15 for a transfer is cheap. Congratulations in advance. :)

I called the FFL dealer beforehand and we talked for about five or six minutes, lol. I didn't want to transfer $200 of stuff to someone and get screwed. :lol: But thanks for the well wishes, and I'll post back here once I get it and find a range around here to take it to. :)

-Edit-

Fort Bliss Rod And Gun Club, $40 all year and no need to register the weapon on base it seems like. Shall be taking it there! Just orders a soft case and a cleaning kit for it though, lol.

Edited by gebraset