Should I re-upgrade from Asus/AMD to Gigabyte/Intel?

OLD:

Asus M5A88-V EVO

Phenom II X4 960T [unlocked to 6 cores (Prime95 stable 24+ hours, OCCT stable 12+ hours!!) :thumbsup: ]

NEW:

GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3

i5-2500K 3.30GHz Quad-Core

I just purchased the Asus/AMD parts for a new build to unlock and overclock to get a bit of power from the CPU, i.e., 24/7 stable OC. I'm neither particularly interested in benchmarking results or looking to break records.

I only tested them (on top of the motherboard's cardboard box) to unlock the cores and for their stability. I never tried to overclock.

Seeing this Intel/Gigabyte bundle on sale I am tempted to upgrade and sell the old parts because Intel is better performing.

The new bundle seems to meet my needs, except it has Intel HD graphics which should be able to run 1080p videos.

•  
  • SATA III,
  • Onboard graphics (the Intel HD takes care of this)
  • art programs,
  • extensive multiple tab use in GC/IE
  • occasional 1080p video playback.
  • No games.

Do you think this is a worthy upgrade?

Edited by Stealth3si

Not sure what your needs are, is your curent one not meeting your needs?

At a glance your current board seems to have a better port selection/options.

Is the Phenom II X4 960T not meeting your performace needs?

It sounds like you are using onboard video?? It would probably be a lot cheaper to just buy a low end video card... rather than upgrade your entire system just to get your hands on the Intel HD 3000, which btw is maybe bareky better than the onboard HD4250 on your AMD board. This is because the HD4250 has access to the 128MB of onboard cache memory that really gives it an extra umph.

So if you want to upgrade, go for it, nobody here is going to stop you, lol. But im having a a hard time seeing a reason why.

Back in November I upgraded from an ASUS/AMD Phenom II X4 955BE build to an MSI/Intel Core i5-2500K build. I was pretty impressed with the performance difference between the Intel and AMD. I play a lot of games, mostly FPS like MW3, as well as watch a lot of movies simultaneously on my second monitor. The Alt-Tabbing between game and movie/browser/IM'ing was seamless on the Intel build where the AMD build would get held up. I just sold my Intel rig because I was actually able to turn a profit on it, but I am definitely going to stick with Intel for the foreseeable future. I am temporarily using my brothers machine, which is a clone of my old AMD P2X4955BE build (identical hardware) and I am already missing my Intel rig.

TL/DR: If you can sell the AMD hardware and break even/not loose your pants I would definitely recommend it. Even though you're not gaming on it, the Intel machine is superior. However, I really don't think you would be THAT upset with yourself if you stuck with the AMD rig. It's more than capable of handling what you're throwing at it. I personally look for any excuse to build a new machine and a good deal on a better piece of hardware is a good excuse. lol

Good luck!

Total waste of money, don't bother

a phenom II is plenty powerful for the next two years still

your graphic card, on the other hand, NVidia GeForce 8200/9200 is a total piece of crap

buy a graphic card unless you just watch youtube

Bundle : Gigabyte GA Z68AP-D3 and I5 2500K $ $314.99 - $40 mir = $274.99 from Tiger Direct Inner Circle, I do not know shipping for that. Tiger is $274.99 before shipping if you get $40 rebate.

Newegg gigabyte GA Z68AP-D3 $109.99+7.87 shipping =$117.86 - $ 10 MIR = $ 107.86 I5 2700K $219.99 - $10 GIFT CARD = $209.99 so $ 327.85 - $10 gift card $317.85 - $10 MIR = $307.85 shipped if you get Gigabyte rebate

Last I knew Tiger rebares were elusive.

Bundle : Gigabyte GA Z68AP-D3 and I5 2500K $ $314.99 - $40 mir = $274.99 from Tiger Direct Inner Circle, I do not know shipping for that. Tiger is $274.99 before shipping if you get $40 rebate.

Newegg gigabyte GA Z68AP-D3 $109.99+7.87 shipping =$117.86 - $ 10 MIR = $ 107.86 I5 2700K $219.99 - $10 GIFT CARD = $209.99 so $ 327.85 - $10 gift card $317.85 - $10 MIR = $307.85 shipped if you get Gigabyte rebate

Last I knew Tiger rebares were elusive.

Thanks.

@OP: I don't think its worth over your current rig. Unless you could sell your rig fast for that amount, why bother the trouble really? Your current rig should run fine for the next 1-2 years IMO.

• 2 weeks later...