Spare SSD OCZ Petrol 64gig

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which configuration?

• Intall Windows 7 and games on the 240gig. and leave the 64 Gig as a spare drive for Ubuntu/Linux installs
    • Install windows 7 on the 240gig and leaeve the 64 gig as like a slave drive
    • Install Windows 7 on the 64 gig instead and leave the 240 gig as like a slave drive
    • Use the 64 gig into my laptop (which currently has a disk spinning 260gig harddrive)

I did the Newegg special last week which was to buy a 240 gig Vertex 3 OCZ SSD SATA III harddrive and it would come with a 64gig OCZ Petrol SSD SATA III

So... I was thinking this is what I could do with my expare harddrive.

Option 1. Intall Windows 7 and games on the 240gig. and leave the 64 Gig as a spare drive for Ubuntu/Linux installs.

Option 2. Install windows 7 on the 240gig and leaeve the 64 gig as like a slave drive.

Option 3. Install Windows 7 on the 64 gig instead and leave the 240 gig as like a slave drive for Steam and other games.

Option 4. Use the 64 gig into my laptop (which currently has a disk spinning 260gig harddrive)

The free OCZ Petrol that i consider a spare drive, kinda sucks compared tot he Vertex 240gig.. heres the specs on both:

OCZ 240 Vertex:

Sustained Sequential Read

up to 550 MB/s

Sustained Sequential Write

up to 520 MB/s

MTBF

2,000,000 hours

OCZ 64 Petrol:

Max Sequential Read

Up to 185 MB/s

Max Sequential Write

Up to 95 MB/s

4KB Random Read

Up to 23,000 IOPS

4KB Random Write

Up to 7,800 IOPS

MTBF

1,250,000 hours

You hardly notice speed gains from a high speed SSD on games. On the OS is the biggest speed difference - I recently went from a mechanical to SSD

Option 4 gets my vote. You would benefit more from the 240Gb being used for OS than the Petrol drive

You hardly notice speed gains from a high speed SSD on games. On the OS is the biggest speed difference - I recently went from a mechanical to SSD

Option 4 gets my vote. You would benefit more from the 240Gb being used for OS than the Petrol drive

:withstupid: Use the Vertex3 for OS and frequently used software. The Petrol for Games.

:withstupid: Use the Vertex3 for OS and frequently used software. The Petrol for Games.

yeah that could be my option 5.. my laptop i was going to thro the petrol in just a work/school laptop that i use, i guess not a real reason i need alot of space for it, and perhaps it could load up a bit faster with the SSD.

if i used the Petrol as an ubuntu boot, I might end up using Ubuntu more then I do with Windows.. which I have done in the past and regretted it...because I put my Windows OS on a a REALLY large harddrive with alot of space that I ended up never using.. with just 1 harddrive in my new system build, I would basically be forced to use Windows.

Edited by Sanosuke_Sagara

I'd put it in the laptop. When I build my next computer probably later this year i'm going to put my current SSD in my laptop and get a new one for the desktop. Using my laptop is painful after using the SSD in the desktop for a few years now.

I would always use the most reliable, fastest, and largest SSD for my OS and apps (although I haven't switched over to doing that myself, just yet). If you had a SB system that supported SRT, I'd put the 64GB into that for caching a HDD or HDD array.

I'd go with option 1 or 2.

I'd put it in the laptop. When I build my next computer probably later this year i'm going to put my current SSD in my laptop and get a new one for the desktop. Using my laptop is painful after using the SSD in the desktop for a few years now.

iam doing that as we speak!! thanks for everyones help!

Yeah if i put both SSD's into my new build (that is coming here within the next day or 2) I would end up using Ubuntu most likely and not the Windows OS... and I actualled payed for Windows 7 for the first time.. so i might as well use it.

I have been using LInux OS's for the past 3 years now and enjoyed it while it lasted. but what it comes down too is that Linux can't play big title games... and use itnes...and thats whats really hurting them... in my personal opinion.

Perhaps someday I will return to linux.. but for now I am moving back to windows just for gaming.