Help me clock my Phenom II 965 BE

Dampo

Hi guys, im new to this site and overclocking. Been playing and using computors for almost my life but never tried to clock any hardware. So now i want to try it out as i barelly cant play diablo 3 on my current rigg. I got a Phenom II 965 BE cpu along with a xfx radeon hd 5770 card. The cpu got a 212 evo cooler yesterday along with mx-2 paste, also gpu had new mx-2 paste on it. I tried overclock in amd overdrive, 3.8ghz seems stable running prime95 atm, 3.9ghz was stable in amd overdrive but as soon as i tried it out in prime it crashed 2 sec later, 4ghz crashed in overdrive. Any suggestions what i can do? i got a nice cooler that at this 3.8ghz speed is 54c max. can add more info of every part in my rigg if needed. ty

My rigg checked in everest.

CPU: QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 965, 2250 MHz (19 x 118)

CPU Speed: 3816,7Mhz , 19x multiplier, hyper transport clock 2008.8mhz north bride clock same 2008.8mhz, memory buss 669.6mhz 

Motherboard: Asus M4A785TD-V Evo  (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

Motherboard Chips: AMD 785G, AMD K10

Bios Type: AMI (11/25/09)

Memory: Corsair XMS CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 4 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM  (9-9-9-24 @ 666 MHz)  (8-8-8-22 @ 592 MHz)  (6-6-6-16 @ 444 MHz) (why it says 1333mhz when it should be 1600)

Harddrive: Hitachi HDS721616PLA380 ATA Device  (160 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

Harddrive: ST1000DM003-1CH162 ATA Device  (931 GB, IDE)

Grafic: AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series (5770 from xfx)

any other info just ask

First, welcome to OCC! Please use the EDIT button below your post if you want to add something, this will prevent spamming and it keeps the thread nice and clean. :)

OT

I doubt the reason you ''barely'' can run diablo III is not because of your cpu, but your gpu.

The 5770 is quite weak compared to some modern cards, try lowering settings and see where it gets you.

As for your cpu, it is not uncommon that the ceiling of a 965 is 3.8ghz, it is still a decent overclock.

Not all CPU's  act and overclock as good as you see online, maybe yours isn't that great of a batch and you got the short end of the stick.

First, welcome to OCC! Please use the EDIT button below your post if you want to add something, this will prevent spamming and it keeps the thread nice and clean. :)

OT

I doubt the reason you ''barely'' can run diablo III is not because of your cpu, but your gpu.

The 5770 is quite weak compared to some modern cards, try lowering settings and see where it gets you.

As for your cpu, it is not uncommon that the ceiling of a 965 is 3.8ghz, it is still a decent overclock.

Not all CPU's  act and overclock as good as you see online, maybe yours isn't that great of a batch and you got the short end of the stick.

Hi,. and thank you for the information. It might be like you say that my gpu is to weak, settings in ccc and d3 is lowest  :( also seing aircooled 965:s online at 4300mhz, i just want 4ghz stable im pretty sure somehow it should be doable? just dont know how you clock things. And do you know why my memory is 1333mhz and not 1600mhz like they should? also what program do you guys use for stuff like overclocking and also for driver updates, think i might be outdated on some stuff but need a driver program thats good.

edit: why is it highlighted haha

Edited by Dampo

the best overclocking is done straight from the bios of the motherboard.  You would likely need to push more voltages through the chip to get a higher overclock but keep in mind that changing voltages if you don't have a clue what your doing could easily cause some damage to the system.  get familiar with the bios and see what all kinds of settings are there before proceeding into an actual overclock.  for a gpu overclock msi afterburner is a good software or evga precision is also really good.  For you i think you would get a better boost by overclocking the gpu so give that a shot and see what happens.

OT

Hi,. and thank you for the information. It might be like you say that my gpu is to weak, settings in ccc and d3 is lowest  :( also seing aircooled 965:s online at 4300mhz, i just want 4ghz stable im pretty sure somehow it should be doable? just dont know how you clock things. And do you know why my memory is 1333mhz and not 1600mhz like they should? also what program do you guys use for stuff like overclocking and also for driver updates, think i might be outdated on some stuff but need a driver program thats good.

edit: why is it highlighted haha

If you want to overclock the cpu, it is advised to do so in the bios of your motherboard.

If you are relatively new to to overclocking i would suggest looking up various overclocking guides online to help increase you knowledge of things.

And if you wanna know, 200mhz wont increase your fps drastically, it will probably increase fps ranging from 1 to 3 if you are lucky.

Why push a chip when it is not really useful to do so?

Hi Dampo, welcome to OCC ! First off you should google oc'ing a 965 be, there are plenty of tutorials out there. You may have to bump up your cpu voltage a bit, or your memory voltage some to get it to stay at 1600. As far as oc'ing software most guys on here do it threw the bios as software tends to raise voltages too much which raises temps higher. As stated above some cpu's just won't hit 4 ghz so don't believe everything you read online. :teehee:

according to CPUID HWmonitor my current volt is 1.328v-1.488 @ 3.8ghz, so its jumping alot, cause of the oc i did in ccc right? u should remove it and go tweak in bios after reading some guides? OC the gpu seems hard, i get temps atm about 80c when playing and thats alot also new mx-2 paste on it and dust free atm >.< god damn gotta save more money to my future cpu 4770k, cant wait :D i think that one is better then i5 right? cause i plan to do alot of movie editing, unpacking rar files, frapsing, playing, watch bluray movies etc.

Edited by Dampo