Is it illegal to remove a car boot?

BizaroStormy

I just discovered today that my car has been booted by a towing company, and its at MY APARTMENT!

About a week ago my apartment complex sent out a notice that they would have a company patrolling my complex and that we needed to get

a new vehicle tag to stick in our window. I already have a tag from last year and did not have a chance to get one because they close before I

get back home from classes every day and I didn't want to wake up early. Today when I get back from class (I ride a city bus) I find this relatively thin boot on my car

(compared to the ones cops put on cars) and a notice saying to call a number to get it off, and that I have an expired tag.

At this point I'm wondering what to do?

I'm definitely going to talk to my complex management tomorrow morning to see if they will get it taken off free of charge sense I actually pay to live here.

If they don't do that I'm not going to renew my contract with them when it runs out in a few months (this place is a real dump anyways).

If my first step does not work I'm going to call the number on my car and that's where I would like your opinion/experience on the matter.

If they only want $20 or so to get it off sure but if they want $50+ to get it off whats stopping me from going to my local hardware store buying an angle grinder

and a cutting wheel and taking it off myself? would I be breaking any laws? because I have every right to park here, and that boot to me is the same as someone putting a

chain on my door and saying that I can't go into my own house unless I pay them. To me the boot itself seems like a means of vandalism because it has disabled and therefore

damaged my vehicle. What if I get hurt and need to get to the hospital or need to go get food at the store?

So what do you guys think?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well first off don't be a lazy Ahole and get that damn tag, secondly they have every right (if it's a private lot) to tell you to pay them, plus that chain analogy is kinda false unless you paid off that house

whether taking off the boot is illegal, it is since it's probably private or state property

whats stopping me from going to my local hardware store buying an angle grinder and a cutting wheel and taking it off myself? would I be breaking any laws? because I have every right to park here, and that boot to me is the same as someone putting a chain on my door and saying that I can't go into my own house unless I pay them. To me the boot itself seems like a means of vandalism because it has disabled and therefore damaged my vehicle. What if I get hurt and need to get to the hospital or need to go get food at the store? So what do you guys think?

Talk to them and find out how much it is to get it off, if you don't want to pay ask them if they can legally put it on there, if you're not convinced call the cops. I wouldn't damage it in anyway if I were you, a $50 fee is less than if you were charged with vandalism.

Edited by xchrissypoox

I think you should have dragged your butt out of bed early and took care of business. As it appears that to park where you did requires a current and valid parking sticker then you do not have the right to park there. Best thing will probably be paying the towing company their fee instead of destroying private property and having even greater expenses.

As much as Id love to see someone screw over the tow truck company they will probably end up getting more money out of you if you screw with their stuff :(

Edit* Is the boot padlocked on? If so screw fees, buy a cheap padlock and go boot their truck.

Edited by SMeeD

As much as Id love to see someone screw over the tow truck company they will probably end up getting more money out of you if you screw with their stuff :(

Edit* Is the boot padlocked on? If so screw fees, buy a cheap padlock and go boot their truck.

No it uses a key similar to ones used on gun safes. They don't even charge for the tag so ill get one tomorrow.

I do think it is my right to park here with a up to date tag or not. I pay to park here they are just to lazy to keep their old records up to date with what tags are still valid or not (based on who still lives here) and instead just make you get a new one each year.

I say angle grinder fun! And what the hell, worst case scenario you get fined extra but your up an angle grinder you didn't have before and I am betting it would be quite fun.

Yeah, no.

Get the tag, pay the fine.