i7 980x, Still awesome?

Intel i7 980x @ 4.7ghz

18 GB Corsair Dominator RAM

Corsair p128 SSD

2x MSI GTX580 X-treme edition (The neat ones with 5gb's of mem and the color changing fans that no one ever sees)

Fatal1ty soundcard (can't remember which one)

ASUS ROG Rampage 3 extreme mobo

It was a real monster back when I built it in late 2010, won a few contests with it and such.  Had a radeon 5970 in it back then.  Pretty much all I do with it is game and deal with emails re: work.  I do love me some games, though.

Solid spaces. No need to upgrade anything, at least for next 1-2 years.

:-)

When smart people tell me I'm doing something right, that feelsgoodman.jpg

Back in the dizzle, we bought one of the xeon hex chips as well.  That thing was a beast in OC'ing.

I have had the 980x up to 4.9 under water.  It does so well OC'ed, it blows my mind how stable and strong it has been.  Obviously, it cost a mint, so feeling like you got your money's worth is a pretty big deal.

Been kicking around with the idea of moving to 780's in the next 6 months or so....this stuff is so addictive.

One of my folding rigs has a 980x in it (oc'ed to 4.2ghz ish) generally run in the mid 60C's loaded at 100%. (it's wc of course)....ambient in that room is generally over 30C. Good little processor :)

:-)

When smart people tell me I'm doing something right, that feelsgoodman.jpg

Back in the dizzle, we bought one of the xeon hex chips as well.  That thing was a beast in OC'ing.

I have had the 980x up to 4.9 under water.  It does so well OC'ed, it blows my mind how stable and strong it has been.  Obviously, it cost a mint, so feeling like you got your money's worth is a pretty big deal.

Been kicking around with the idea of moving to 780's in the next 6 months or so....this stuff is so addictive.

Am I to assume you mean the 4.7ghz is on air?? :whoa:

No, actually, though I understand you thinking that as my post was pretty misleading.  I am using a corsair H100 on it, so, it is still "under water".  I used to have a custom H2O setup that covered it and the 2 MSI 480's I had before.  Had a reservoir from FrozenQ as well, looked really cool.

I don't think I have ever actually had it air cooled.  Used an h50 before (when I first purchased it)

EDIT:  Pics of the old beast...

IMG_20101229_221147_zps6830cdde.jpg

IMG_20101230_170644-1_zpscef2974f.jpg