Problem: Recovering a computer from a Windows Image

cjloki

i made a windows image of the server on my nas so that i could restripe my raid set to 64's down from 128's (found out 128 is as small as it gets in raid0 so it was a waste of time) and now the thing can't see the image i saved...what am i doing wrong ? ...this is a win7 64bit machine and image so it should see it but tells me "no backups have been found" ...i'm missing something...

As a last resort to restore the array you might need this work around;

1. Boot to RAID BIOS

2. Delete existing array

3. Create new array with 64kb stripe

4. Install new copy of Windows, including RAID driver, but do not reactivate

5. Restart and load saved image onto array

Once you get to the point you're ready to restore the image - here are the instructions (compliments of Microsoft)

To restore using the Recovery Control Panel (recommended)

If your computer is still working and you can access Control Panel, or if you want to restore your system image backup onto a different computer, follow these steps:

1. Open Recovery by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type recovery, and then click Recovery.

2. Click Advanced recovery methods.

3. Click Use a system image you created earlier to recover your computer, and then follow the steps.

Hey CJ - none of your networked machines can see the image file stored on the NAS?

the thing is it can be seen  "windowsimagebackup" and all the files inside are there too, but gives me an "error/ no backup found/bunch of numbers/other stuff" and so i cancel back the main recovery page....i've already restriped back to 128 because that's all it'll allow me to do in raid 0...the other machines in the net can see it too so idk...i haven't entered the windows key yet but afaik that fact hasn't been recognized and the "enter key" prompt hasn't popped up... but what a wonderful waste of time...but thanx jerry ! ...it looks like i have inadvertently done some unexpected spring cleaning for myself... :lol:

There has to be some little trick that we are missing.  I know a few folks that have done exactly what you're trying to do without issue.  Stripe size shouldn't matter because Windows compiled the data from each disk into a single readable image when it created the backup.  When restoring the image it would just split the data back up into whatever size chunks were allocated by the stripe size.  Maybe Windows can't read the actual image that is stored on the NAS?  Is it possible that the image file was corrupted?  Does your NAS take any special drivers to make it work right?

On the bright side, there isn't much that makes me happier than a nice clean Windows installation  :)

Sorry for your troubles.

well honestly i would rather have the backup image restored, but without the 64 bit stripe i won't gain the boot/loading speeds i was looking to acheive, so it won't make any difference as far as that goes...unfortunately there are some things in there i really wanted to keep around, updated resume's, love letters from my angel, some other stuff...imma start scouring microsponge and see if there's a workaround...maybe 2008 server has a way out of this fixx

CJ - please tell me for the love of all that is sacred that you didn't have important files on a RAID 0 array...............................

yes, i am sooo wrong, :( ...yes, i had a few things on the raid that i hadn't moved to storage yet :unsure: and will forever regret my procrastinating self :whoa::cry:

CJ - please tell me for the love of all that is sacred that you didn't have important files on a RAID 0 array...............................

yes, i am sooo wrong, :( ...yes, i had a few things on the raid that i hadn't moved to storage yet :unsure: and will forever regret my procrastinating self :whoa::cry:
imma try n copy the ISO to my external and see if windows can find it on the root