New Linksys WRT router

Has anyone here bought the new WRT1900AC router? I was wondering how well it works and if its worth the $250 price tag. I'm still running my WRT54G that I bought back in 2005.

Do you really want/need the bandwidth AC provides?

I find that wireless N routers are stupid cheap and reliable and can't justify many times the cost for essentially zero benefit.

What what means?

You have an outdated access point that supports G at the fastest.  Even N is a big step up - do any of your devices even support AC?

My point was that you'd get a pretty good speed boost simply by moving to a newer router that supports wireless N without spending anywhere NEAR $250. :cheers:

I can say that all 3 in depth testing reviews boiled down to best thing about it being that you can stack them if that gives you any idea of how "well" they work for the money.  I was on the edge of buying an AC access point as my laptop DOES support AC speeds, but never did.  At that time (shortly after that linksys model launched) The earlier mentioned Netgear Nighthawk and the ASUS AC 1900 models were the top rated if you were in the market and both at a lower price.

I'm not certain but I just get a feeling that this lovely Wikipedia quote will help explain it for those who have experienced the majority of what Belkin had to offer for wireless networking before early this year:

Cisco announced in January 2013 that it would sell its home networking division and Linksys to Belkin, giving Belkin 30% of the home router market. Belkin pledged to continue support and honor warranties for existing Linksys products.[10] As of January 24, 2014, however, Linksys no longer provides support or firmware for models not currently in production.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone here bought the new WRT1900AC router? I was wondering how well it works and if its worth the $250 price tag. I'm still running my WRT54G that I bought back in 2005.

I have purchased this router. I can't tell if it is worth $250. What I can tell you is that I was also hesitant on buying this router, it is expensive. I read a dozen reviews on it, and wanted to find out for myself. I figured I can return it if I did not like it. I ended up keeping it. The thing is fast for wired and wireless connections. I probably wouldn't spend this much if I only have one wireless computer, or one wired computer connected to it. I have multiple wired and wireless connections connected at all times and it holds up pretty well.

Edited by uneedav8