What would be good for the Pops?

IVIYTH0S

So I have a -+$100 budget for my dad for a graphics card since he used to use my old 8800GT but then it died and wouldn't bake back to life again (the 2nd attempt following the successful first). He was ok with his 790GX integrated for a bit but now wants to play his submarine game again (forget the name of it) and it's too much for it so here I am.

I guess the best performance we can hook him up with unless we could just focus on efficiency because honestly I'm not sure he'll be playing anything else but that game and his RC simulator "game". Though perhaps if he knows he has a strong card, he'll install some other games. (flight sims I've bought him in the past that he hasn't gotten to)

His system off the top of my head:
Phenom II X4 940 (Stock)

Gigabyte (I think) 790GX

OCZ 500W

4GB DDR2 (800mhz?)

Acer 22" (my old monitor, 1680x1050)

So far I was thinking of these:

New

7770 Ghz Edition $100+ Tax+ $3 shipping -$30 rebate=$80ish? (Nice, efficient, new)

Used
570 Twin Frozr $110 (BEAST, Could serve as a backup for me if I needed to borrow it between cards or if mine dies and I need that gaming fix bad)

Gigabyte 7850 $100 (More efficient than the 570 and not too far behind in, but more efficient and cheaper)

*Some other used card some where* $???

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I got a 5770 you could snag, How does $50 sound?

If you're not interested in my 5770. I'd say of the 3 choices you mention, to go for the GTX570.

Thanks but I don't think I'll take your deal, sorry :(. I reckon the 7770 is actually looking pretty good right now since it comes with the free game. It costs "~$64" if you subtract how much it'd cost me to buy FarCry3 seperately.

Also it helps that it's more efficient and the shortest of the three choices so far. The 570 is the longest and I'd have to see if my 7950 would fit first (probably the same or similar length)

I'll ask him what he thinks though based on his needs

This GTX 650 is $109.99,.. nice mid-range card.  Comes with a $75.00 WTF Game Coin,.. :lol:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133471

$100.00 Gift Card Giveaway:

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/Nov-0-2013/CallofDutyGhost05/sweepstakes.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL110513&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL110513-_-EMC-110513-Index-_-MECH-_-Sweepstakes-EB1A&

Edited by Braegnok

Hmmm... but according to this, the 7770 is better AND cheaper (and that's not even the Ghz edition I'm looking at)

If it was a 650Ti, then it'd be worth it but not the regular 650.

Thanks for the recommendation though

I have a couple 7790's that fit your budget!

Do tell, give me a price I can't turn down! :)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Hmmm... but according to this, the 7770 is better AND cheaper (and that's not even the Ghz edition I'm looking at)

Make me an offer I cant refuse LOL Via PM of course! 

I think the 7770 is your best bet unless cokeman can put some icing on the cake, lol.

Me too, the 570 is definitely the best if he wanted the best or could use the best performance but I think we need to look at something that may potentially last longer and is more simple, while not giving up much performance.

Make me an offer I cant refuse LOL Via PM of course! 

PM on the way ;)

In light of measuring space in his case (9.25" is the absoute limit for card length, 9" would still be tight), realizing his 500W PSU only has 1 6pin, and Ccokeman's unresponsiveness to PMs lol. I went with the HD7770.

I was considering the hd 6850 since I found one for $65 but it'd be alot tighter in the case (<9" for MSI models) and would have no warranty (he wants the peace of mind)