Saints Row IV Reviewed

Bosco

I just might be dense, but I don't get WHY they wanted that game to happen in space.

I can understand that they used to follow GTA, now they changed their style since you now have sleeping dog in that genre too.

It feels like they are going over the top in trying to get noticed. Not sure if you took Rambo in space that would be awesone.

Guest_Jim, I read your article and without going into spoilers, you mention that they seem to have a comedic scenario. I was just
wondering if it's only light humor or more GTA-juvenile-crude style.

As an example, for those who read the San Andreas manual, who remember the ads in there?

Can't speak to GTA humor as I am not familiar with it, but the humor in SR4 is not what I would call light and at times is crude. (There is discussion by some NPCs about being probed by the aliens and how happy they are that they can sit down again.) Juvenile will describe almost all of the humor though.

As far as them taking the game into space, but mostly a computer simulation, Volition realized during SR2 that the way they could branch away from just another GTA clone was by going somewhat ridiculous (Septic Avenger missions anyone). I wouldn't classify that as how they get noticed at this point though, since it is part of the Saints Row brand now, and the games are still very fun and well made. Not exactly the best analogy, but you do not notice a Ferrari because it is fast, you notice it because it is a Ferrari, and it happens that the cars can go fast.