Upgrade from 1055T to FX-8350

I'm currently running a Phenom II X6 1055T overclocked to 3.9ghz (I just can't get 4.0 stable!! :() and thinking about upgrading to the FX 8350. I see these pretty commonly get over 5.0ghz on air on all 8 cores. That's pretty sweet. I am currently running the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO USB/3 890GX motherboard, that will need a BIOS flash to accept the AM3+ CPU first off. I mostly use my computer for gaming, I play RIFT and Natural Selection 2 mostly right now. I'm running a GTX 680 2GB video card, and 8GB DDR3 (which is underclocked from stock speeds for my CPU overclock), and I know RIFT is not a very optimized game, but in the cities and big events I get relatively low FPS. Thinking a faster CPU would help out for sure.

Has anyone made the jump from a similar level Phenom to the 8350 and noticed a good performance increase? $199 is a good price to me.

I don't have personal experience but I couldn't see it benefiting you large gains

Aren't CPUs and HDDs important for MMOs?

Yes, but your current CPU isn't much slower than an 8350.

Personally I don't think there is enough in it either which is why I'm hanging on to my 1100T.  I suspect your mobo will struggle a bit with getting an FX8350 to 5GHz. My old M4A89TD Pro/USB3 struggled with big overclocks because the VRMs  were just getting too hot and throttling my 1100T. Your mobo is almost identical except for the onboard graphics.

I don't have personal experience but I couldn't see it benefiting you large gains

Aren't CPUs and HDDs important for MMOs?

Yes, but your current CPU isn't much slower than an 8350.

+1, it's in some ways better if when it comes to core efficiency but a fully loaded multithreaded program will give the edge to the 8350. I've always had a soft spot for the X6 Phenom II's though, though the FX-8000s have really brought some solid competition to newer processors

It should be considered as a marginal upgrade. Yes, architecture is improved and 8350 i snewer generation processor, but per core performance is more or less same. And, I'm really skeptical about the higher overclocking capability of your M4A89GTD Pro, specially when paired with 8350.

• 1 month later...