Looking for a new TV, trying to stay fairly basic.

Crow47

Looking to buy a new TV for my apartment. I'm going to college right now, so I don't want something super nice in case it either gets stolen or broken at a party. Walmart is having some really amazing deals in my area. I'm looking for anything between 40-50", but I'd say given my room size 46" is probably the sweet spot. I do not need a smart TV as I have a spare computer hooked up on SteamBox/XBMC duty. Here's what I'm looking at, what do you think? 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-42-1080p-60Hz-Class-LED-3.2-ultra-slim-HDTV-E420-A0/22368130

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Seiki-SE47FY19-47-1080p-60Hz-LED-HDTV/28379380

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-X505BV-FMDR-50-1080p-60Hz-LED-HDTV/27678567

Then there's also a Westinghouse model at Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/46-class-46-diag--led-1080p-60hz-hdtv/2894161.p?id=1219081523763&skuId=2894161&st=categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=1

It's going to be mainly used for movies/shows and some light gaming hooked up through HDMI. 

My only advice is DO NOT get a 60hz TV.  Other than that happy shopping.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I <3 my LG Plasma. That said, it's hard to go wrong these days with any major brand or any of the "well-known" knockoff brands.

Of the ones linked in the first post I'd not hesitate a second on the Seiki.

It's going to be mainly used for movies/shows and some light gaming hooked up through HDMI.

For the price the op wants to spend a 60 hz tv is all he will need, been using mine for movies and games once in a while and works fine. You will be hard pressed to find a 120 or 240 hz for for that amount of cash.

Looking to buy a new TV for my apartment. I'm going to college right now, so I don't want something super nice in case it either gets stolen or broken at a party. Walmart is having some really amazing deals in my area. I'm looking for anything between 40-50", but I'd say given my room size 46" is probably the sweet spot. I do not need a smart TV as I have a spare computer hooked up on SteamBox/XBMC duty. Here's what I'm looking at, what do you think? 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-42-1080p-60Hz-Class-LED-3.2-ultra-slim-HDTV-E420-A0/22368130

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Seiki-SE47FY19-47-1080p-60Hz-LED-HDTV/28379380

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-X505BV-FMDR-50-1080p-60Hz-LED-HDTV/27678567

Then there's also a Westinghouse model at Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/46-class-46-diag--led-1080p-60hz-hdtv/2894161.p?id=1219081523763&skuId=2894161&st=categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=1

Cannot stand 120hz unless it's for gaming and it's a native input. Upscaled looks absolutely terrible, I don't care how good the algorithm is. Movies are 24 fps for a reason. Anything else makes it look like it was shot on my hold Sony Handycam. 

The side benefit is, I get to save some money! :)

I would check out some of the Insignia models I have a 39" 1080p LED one in my home office that I love. I'm not an audiophile, but I find the stock speakers more than adequate for use in there. I bought it during Black Friday last year. It was $400 on sale for $370. I got an additional 2% I think in cash back from Fat Wallet at the time and a $25 BB gift card for doing a pickup in store for a promotion they ran. I went back a few months later and they had the same TV on store display/clearance for $250. It had no remote or stand, so I got the manager to knock another $25 off. I already had both at home. It is now wall mounted in my garage.

You can find some very good pricing on the Insignia TVs. Buy online for pickup in store and use Fat Wallet to get the cash back to help offset sales tax. That might even work on floor models since Best Buy has been listing them on their site for a while now.

I never minded brands like Westinghouse since the ones I've had/setup used good panels and skimped on other stuff to get their price down like stylish housing and sound components. Which works out to be a good deal if you have any kind of seperate sound setup.

I never minded brands like Westinghouse since the ones I've had/setup used good panels and skimped on other stuff to get their price down like stylish housing and sound components. Which works out to be a good deal if you have any kind of seperate sound setup.

Yeah, all I care about is the panel. Having said that, I am managing my expectations. I know the picture isn't going to be as good as a nicer TV. I just want a bigger picture. I just don't need anything too nice right now given my living arrangement.

I pulled the trigger on a Westinghouse 46" LED 1080p for $399. I went in for a 50" open-box for $348 (I even called ahead), but they were out when I got there. I'm pretty happy with the Westinghouse. I'm actually surprised it's as nice as it is for what I paid for it. Amazing how technology has come in the last few years. 

Thanks everyone for their input!

Crow, as someone who works in the business as a factory authorized repair/refubish/warranty company in the electronics industry, I highly recommend that you avoid house brands or off brands.  I'll use Coby as an example.  Great effort on their part to be a viable business and their quality wasn't that bad either.  But they went bankrupt and left their creditors and their customers "holding the bag".

Pick a name brand (lowest I'd go is Vizio).  Even if you have to settle for a smaller television or even a plasma instead of LCD or LED.  In the long run you'll be much happier.  In my experience design, manufacturing quality, PQ here is how I'd rate the major players;

1. Pioneer and/or Panasonic tied for first place

2. Samsung

3. LG

4. Sony

5. Sharp

6. Toshiba

6. Vizio

This list is based on being inside every one of those brands through the years, considering design, engineering, part sourcing consistency, build quality, quality of components etc.

I've got a couple LGs now (one 60" Plasma and a 42" LED) and they have been very good sets.  Considering the prices I paid they were bargains.

Crow, as someone who works in the business as a factory authorized repair/refubish/warranty company in the electronics industry, I highly recommend that you avoid house brands or off brands.  I'll use Coby as an example.  Great effort on their part to be a viable business and their quality wasn't that bad either.  But they went bankrupt and left their creditors and their customers "holding the bag".

Pick a name brand (lowest I'd go is Vizio).  Even if you have to settle for a smaller television or even a plasma instead of LCD or LED.  In the long run you'll be much happier.  In my experience design, manufacturing quality, PQ here is how I'd rate the major players;

1. Pioneer and/or Panasonic tied for first place

2. Samsung

3. LG

4. Sony

5. Sharp

6. Toshiba

6. Vizio

This list is based on being inside every one of those brands through the years, considering design, engineering, part sourcing consistency, build quality, quality of components etc.

I've got a couple LGs now (one 60" Plasma and a 42" LED) and they have been very good sets.  Considering the prices I paid they were bargains.

I agree with wevsspot's list except for the Vizio. I liked the picture quality but it took forever to change channels.

Phil