Windows 7 Driver Code 12 issue

Imagine

Hey guys, story is, I work in my college's IT department part-time alongside my Engineering course. So one day my Engineering lecturer says he wants me to move a Windows 7 install from his old laptop (HDD is dying) to his new one. So I proceed with the job and these are the steps I take;

• Sysprep old laptop hard drive with Generalize setting ON
  • Capture Image using imageX and copy to external Hard Drive
  • Boot Vista PE Disk
  • Expand the captured image to the new laptop's HDD
  • Fix bootloader by setting partition as active and running system repair
  • Install drivers

Now after I've done all this, the Intel HD Graphics say that it can't find enough resources to allocate to the hardware (Code 12) but I can't seem to find anything on this, anyone know what in the hell is going on?

What are the specs of the old and the new laptop? It sounds like the old Intel HD graphics drivers/utility that is now running on the new machine might not be able to find a compatible GPU.

If the new machine has the new sandbridge intel GPU, it will need different drivers from older Intel HD GPUs (And of course it will need different drivers if it is running an AMD/Nvidia GPU). This is why I never use the same image on different computers. It becomes a mess and won't perform nearly as well as clean install with the latest correct drivers.

I've worked IT for a university for the last 3 years doing this same kind of thing too. We make images, but only restore them on machine with the exact same motherboard/cpu/gpu etc.

Good Luck!

Edited by 90sgamer

<br>What are the specs of the old and the new laptop? It sounds like the old Intel HD graphics drivers/utility that is now running on the new machine might not be able to find a compatible GPU. <br><br>If the new machine has the new sandbridge intel GPU, it will need different drivers from older Intel HD GPUs (And of course it will need different drivers if it is running an AMD/Nvidia GPU). This is why I never use the same image on different computers. It becomes a mess and won't perform nearly as well as clean install with the latest correct drivers.<br><br>I've worked IT for a university for the last 3 years doing this same kind of thing too. We make images, but only restore them on machine with the exact same motherboard/cpu/gpu etc. <br><br>Good Luck!<br>
<br><br>That's a good point actually. I will try this out when I get the laptop back tomorrow. Problem is, I know a fresh install would've been nice, the problem is reinstalling all 150+ of his "educational" software would take a large amount of time.<br><br>The old laptop off the top of my head had an AMD CPU/GPU combo, whereas the new one is an all Intel setup which is probably where the problems come in right? I'll also see if there are anytools like ATiMan but for Intel stuff.<br>

<br><br>That's a good point actually. I will try this out when I get the laptop back tomorrow. Problem is, I know a fresh install would've been nice, the problem is reinstalling all 150+ of his "educational" software would take a large amount of time.<br><br>The old laptop off the top of my head had an AMD CPU/GPU combo, whereas the new one is an all Intel setup which is probably where the problems come in right? I'll also see if there are anytools like ATiMan but for Intel stuff.<br>

Wow, he as a lot software. I would probably have tried imaging in this case too.

I also didn't realize the Intel drivers are new, not from the image. In this case perhaps the AMD drivers are interfering with it somehow. Did you try uninstalling them with ATIman? I use driver sweeper, but I've heard that is good too. I don't think there are any clean uninstall tools for removing intel's display drivers.

I'd try to clean out the AMD drivers and uninstalling & reinstalling the the Intel drivers.

Let us know what happens.

Thanks for the tips mate will give them a go when I get the laptop back tomorrow. AFAIK the guy is amazed that it worked so well but isn't too bummed about the Graphics not working right but I don't feel right letting it go knowing it's not setup properly!

So I've got it fixed by running these cmd commands

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

start devmgmt.msc

And running through device manager cleaning out all the undetected drivers and hardware. Gave the system a reboot and voila! windows detected the hardware and installed the correct drivers this time around!