They have some used i7-980X chips on EBay now for under $300,.. that might scratch your itch,.. :D

Why? X5650's from $35 to $75 from members of the community. 4.4GHz is easy.

Can the Xeons work on regular X58 boards though? Would they need a special board?

Braegnok is right, get the i7 980X, it outperforms everything. I have one I can sell you for $300...

LOL!

:mfp:,.. lol

Not every Intel motherboard recognizes Xeon chips,.. LGA1366 tested/confirmed compatible motherboards,.. http://hwbot.org/hardware/motherboards?from=processor_2392#key=lga1366

Generally Xeons overclock vary well,.. but you will want to do some research and have decent cooling if your planning on overclocking or running 24/7 overclock @ +65%.

Edited by Braegnok

• 4 weeks later...

Unless you are using software that is heavily multi-threaded then moving to another CPU for X58 platform like a 980X is pointless. The upgrade to a 4790K/5820K would bring a good 40% more IPC performance to the table and and along with the new features like SATA III and USB 3 on the motherboard side. When it comes to gaming the upgrade to a 4790K/5820K would make MUCH more sense due to many games not utilizing multiple threads and would greatly benefit from the increased IPC. As someone who came from a i7 920 @ 4.2GHZ and went to a 5820K this is coming from first hand experience. I would still recommend if you go with an X99 system is to at least OC it to 4.0GHz to get the most out of your CPU. In its time the X58 platform was a beast, but its starting to really get long in the tooth at this point.