16G ram 7.9 usable

No. The CPU. I recall changing coolers and the CPU stuck to the cooler. I must have pulled it out cockeyed and bent a couple.

Thanks for all the help I really didn't have a heat problem, but I replaced the 9590 with a 8350.

I'd like to have them straightened if possible. My eyes aren't up to it. Newegg suggested contacting AMD. Anyone have any experience  in this?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've RMAed a 8350 to AMD. it took about a month and they sent me one new in box. well..tin can lol. The wont accept rma from user damage. if you can bend the pins back you may get away with the rma. just say nothing about it. play dumb.

take a picture of the pins and post it to see....

Here is a pretty simple way to straighten the pins and it does take TIME! DO NOT rush it or the pins will break off.

warmer metals bend easier than cold metals so what i do is take a hair dryer and warm the pins. warmer the better.

Easier if you have someone hold the hair dryer so you can manipulate the pins.

buy a couple cheap mechanical pencils with METAL tips. the 0.7 and 0.5 and see which one fits the best.

take the lead out and when the CPU pins are warm SLOWLY start working them back in place.

I've had very good luck with this method and bent pins from dropped CPUs.

then i eyeball them and align with a credit card till the rows are straight.

In the big picture of things I've seen bent pins a lot worse than that and they were still able to be straightened.  As Doc said;

heat the cpu pins

use a mechanical pencil to get those pins in the top right corner standing up.  If they are laying right up against the PCB use a razor blade to lift them up far enough to slide the mechanical pencil tip over them and then straighten them the remainder of the way

after the pins are standing straight up, use a credit card to line up the rows both horizontally and vertically.  Where do you live at?  

If you're in the US you could probably talk one of us into straightening them for you if you don't mind mailing / shipping costs both ways.

If you're in the US you could probably talk one of us into straightening them for you if you don't mind mailing / shipping costs both ways.

I just ordered a magnifier visor but if it's still a site problem I could use a volunteer. I'm just outside Reno, Silver Springs, Nevada.

I don't think there's any missing but I'll have to wait 'till I get a better magnifier. I thought one was missing and it turned out to be pointing straight out. Tricky little so & sos. I didn't turn the MB over to see if one would fall out but the new CPU went right in. I'll check back when I know.

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally got a magnifier and a vise, as well as a neighbor with keener vision, and it looks like the upper corner pin is missing. I've seen a couple of articles on replacing pins so I'll try to tackle it  next rainy day. Thanks to all for helping.