Best SSD for the money.

vyroburn

I won a Kingston 120GB SSDNOW 300 from OCC and it came with Acronis  and a usb enclosure for a 2.5 hard drive to use as a backup if you have one laying around like I did. I've had the SSD for over a month and it has been working great.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a bad idea to purchase small drives, I made that mistake when SSD first hit the marketplace, and now I can barely fit anything on it. Games are coming out easily in excess of 30GB, and taking/editing videos can easily use up a TB.

I just bought a 256GB drive, I wouldn't go with anything less nowadays.

Edited by Kuronin

^^ Yes that's true. The rate in which the price SSDs are going down, it would be a good idea to buy a 240/250/256GB SSDs at this point of time. 120/128GB SSDs are still good, but those 60/64GB of SSDs are like a thing of from the past.

Edited by d6bmg

I own two OCZs, One Kingston, and one SanDisk and they all have been awesome. Just look around for the cheapest price for the capacity you're looking for, you don't need the fastest SSD out there to enjoy it. They all perform similar in realtime uses.

Based on reliability and long-term performance stability, Samsung 840 Pro SSD's are number one in my book. Samsung does not use a SandForce or Marvell controller, but instead use Samsung's own creation, the MDX (S4LN021X01-8030) controller, which is a triple-core ARM microprocessor, which easily surpasses SandForce-based drives.

In SQL Enterprise testing, the 840 Pro doesn't shine until it's subjected to a concurrent user count of 48 and above, after which it consistently delivers slightly higher performance than most other drives, but is unable to match OCZ's latest Vector SSD performance wise.

The 840 Pro is 10% cheaper than the OCZ Vector, you can't go wrong with either product if your looking for a high-performance SSD.

Glad i stumbled upon this thread, looking to buy an SSD for my wife's ASUS laptop for her birthday. I myself own a 120Gb OCZ Agility2, been having it for half a year and not a hiccup so far. So, its probably going to be an OCZ for her laptop as well. Logic dictates, captain, if it works - why experiment?

Part of the reason why I haven't made the switch yet to an SSD is that the capacity just isn't there yet. I myself like to load all my games and software up on the primary drive, and have all my files, downloads, etc goto a secondary or in the future my NAS. 

I just bought a Macbook pro that came with a 512gb SSD and its amazingly fast! I wish I had this kind of performance on my desktop, I just don't feel like shelling out $400-500 for a 512gb drive. 

I have a rather large game collection that I play, and like having the ability to jump into any game I choose. 

To me a 256gb SSD wouldn't even be close to enough storage for playing my game collection.... Now I know there are some ways around this (install stuff on a secondary drive, etc) but to me it defeats the purpose of having all that performance to begin with. 

I would be happy with a 1tb SSD or even a 512 for now if the prices on them were not so darn expensive! 

Please be clear on this, at the moment the Samsung 840  240 and 480 SSDs are the price performance leaders. The 240 has gone as low as $140 though $150-160 is more common. The 480 lists $350 and has been as low as $240.

The Samsung 840 120 is slower and has much less endurance than the above SSDs but stays around $90-100 which makes it a poor buy compared to better drives on sale.

IE I've paid $70 for Kingston HyperX 3K 128 GB and $80 for Samsung 830 128 GB SSDs.

The Samsung 840 240 is on sale at several sources today.

Intel and Samsung (despite  minor glitches) are arguably the best of the best over all.

I recently purchased a Corsair Neutron 256 GB 7mm notebook SSD for $170, which I expect to do fine, though I confused it with the GTX model while making my decision.  (non GTX are listed as 240 GB, GTX as 256 GB, except for the 7mm) 7 mm seemed desirable incase I wind up with one of the newer thinner notebooks.

A 512GB SSD on a mac must have cost like $50000

NOPE

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/ME665LL/A?

Please tell you got it cheaper than that...

Part of the reason why I haven't made the switch yet to an SSD is that the capacity just isn't there yet. I myself like to load all my games and software up on the primary drive, and have all my files, downloads, etc goto a secondary or in the future my NAS. 

I just bought a Macbook pro that came with a 512gb SSD and its amazingly fast! I wish I had this kind of performance on my desktop, I just don't feel like shelling out $400-500 for a 512gb drive. 

I have a rather large game collection that I play, and like having the ability to jump into any game I choose. 

To me a 256gb SSD wouldn't even be close to enough storage for playing my game collection.... Now I know there are some ways around this (install stuff on a secondary drive, etc) but to me it defeats the purpose of having all that performance to begin with. 

I would be happy with a 1tb SSD or even a 512 for now if the prices on them were not so darn expensive! 

Here's a 500GB for under $400: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/897033-REG/Samsung_mz_7td500bw_500GB_2_5_inch_SSD_840.html

Edited by IVIYTH0S