Multi-GPU Performance Evaluation

Nemo

Nvidia may lead in performance FPS wise but ATi still has me with better quality renders. I'd have to find the review but it compared the GTX260 core 216 with the HD4850.

All in all though I must congratulate you for such an epic review... that must have been serious hell.

Edited by Compxpert

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya Crossfire is funny that way. Everyonce in a while you get something that makes you retest over and over again because you can't believe it :lol:

the test results say it all bosco...while i was mildly amazed at how well the 4850 x2's held up to the competition i realized that for my purposes it's in my best interest to start saving for a gtx295 and a new sli MB....i've never used an sli configuration so now i have research to do....

part of the learning curve i guess...!!

OCC's Test/Comparison rating...100%

CJ's Gaming Rig Choices rating....55%

B:)

I hate to ask, but what setup did you guys like best?

Anyway great review, loved reading it the whole way through.

Edited by tacohunter52

I hate to ask, but what setup did you guys like best?

Anyway great review, loved reading it the whole way through.

It depends on what I am doing. For my basic stuff I like the GTX 260's for a cheap folding rig and light gaming. However for extreme gaming I like the GTX 280 combo.

Wow that was the most epic review I've seen on here, and I was suprised to see that the 4850x2's were so power efficient (yes I had to bring up the 4850x2 :P)

but it was also a great review that opened my eyes to superiority of SLI you've been talking about, the older games really brought that out into the open.

that poor 4850 crossfire though lol

that poor 4850 crossfire though lol

While the 4850 crossfire setup was clearly trumped by every other crossfire/sli combination tested, we have to keep the test results in perspective. Not everyone is going to (or can afford to) splurge on a 30" monitor in order to realize the monsterous horsepower of some of these cards.

For many casual gamers who are still playing on a 20-24" monitor a 4850 crossfire setup is still powerful enough to play most of todays games at the LCD's native resolution and medium-high quality settings. And if you can pick up two 4850's for a little over $200 that's not too bad a deal IMHO.

Personally I don't have a grand to spend on video cards and another grand for a monitor :(

While the 4850 crossfire setup was clearly trumped by every other crossfire/sli combination tested, we have to keep the test results in perspective. Not everyone is going to (or can afford to) splurge on a 30" monitor in order to realize the monsterous horsepower of some of these cards.

For many casual gamers who are still playing on a 20-24" monitor a 4850 crossfire setup is still powerful enough to play most of todays games at the LCD's native resolution and medium-high quality settings. And if you can pick up two 4850's for a little over $200 that's not too bad a deal IMHO.

Personally I don't have a grand to spend on video cards and another grand for a monitor :(

:withstupid: Very good points.

This is a really cool article. Nice work guys!

This is an excellent point! When you figure in both price of the cards and price of the monitor needed to use the cards, the lower ranking options still make a lot of sense, if not more. The higher end solutions put out some great bench numbers, but is that worth $1,100 to most of the users here? Probably not.

You can't let yourself get sucked in by high scores alone. Sure some people have the connections/cash for 2x295s, but for the rest of us the name of the game is still performance per dollar.